Can a Logic Analyzer be used for video capturing

Ive been looking at a couple of usb logic analyzers, but it occured to me, is it feasible to also use it as a slow video capture?

How can I determine if its fast/deep enough to capture a full frame of digital data going out to a dac for rs-170? Is there a formula?

USBEESX: 8 Channel, Signal Generation Capability, i2c/spi monitor, 24 Msps$295:

LogicPort: 34 Channel, No Signal Generation Capability, $380:

Ben

Reply to
benn686

Of course it can store the output of an A/D converter. Emphasis on the slow. If you put an A/D in front of a logic analyzer, you get a DSO.

Length of time you want to capture / sampling rate = memory depth

So, the answer to your question is yes, but doing anything useful is unlikely. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
mike

The function of a logic analyzer is totally different and "alien" to video capture, that it begs the question as to what you know about electronic equipment (at minimum).

Reply to
Robert Baer

A logic analyzer is perfectly suitable for reading an ADC output. If the LA allows to save the captured data (and even better, control triggering), you can use it to capture anything digital. I've used a Tektronix DAS9200 to capture data from an ADC while being controlled by a VB application.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I think, rather, it raises the question whether or not you know what "begs the question" really means.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

That's running rampant these days. I can't think of a single time in the last five or ten years that I've heard _anyone_ use that expression properly - they _all_ use that same wrong meaning.

They should at least say, "begs _for_ the question."

Ah, well, as The Good Doctor said, "Against stuipdity, the gods themselves contend in vain."

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A bit like when Americans (mostly) say "write me", then they mean "write to me".

How was the 'to' dropped?

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

It's easy do.

How about the expression "ring me" or "ring me up"? Does that bother you too? If you can ring me then I don't see why I can't write you.

As long as we are asking pointless questions, what's up with Worcester? Was it a case of an odd spelling choice at the beginning, or did pronunciation evolve over time?

Reply to
xray

It's there. We 'mer'cans have just learned to mumble like Brits ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I read in sci.electronics.design that xray wrote (in ) about 'Can a Logic Analyzer be used for video capturing', on Thu, 17 Mar 2005:

The latter. The 'cester' part is from Latin 'castra' - a (military) camp or the later Romano-British and then Saxon 'ceaster' - a fortified settlement.

I couldn't find the original British (Celtic) or Roman name of the place with Google, but it's probably there somewhere. It wasn't a very important Roman camp.

Many of these irregular geographical pronunciations date from the 12th and 13th centuries, when English was under very strong Norman French influence. But some are actually survivals of earlier place names.

Theer are two sides to every question, except
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Hwicwara-ceaster- the 'chester' of 'Hwic wara'- the people of the Saxon tribe Hwicce. Reduced in pronunciation to Hwic- waracester, then the prefix dropped. This tribe's territory extended over much of central England, and left many other names, notably the rather lovely and mysterious Wychwood. The name Hwicca could be actually Brythonic rather than Saxon, meaning 'forest people'.

One of the best was Shropshire, which the Normans minced to Salop, being unable to negociate the consonant cluster. When the European parliamentary constituencies were created, the one covering the area was named Salop, which caused much mirth among their French speaking colleagues ('salope' is 'bitch').

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Hwicced!

In the sense of 'shrew' or 'termagant', rather than 'dog ma'?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

My dogma got run over by my karma.