camera trick

Easy fix for that: avoid contact with formal agencies.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

When you design circuitry for aircraft, spacecraft, medical, oil/gas, automotive, chemical plants and so you, you can't avoid such contact. If your design can't pass UL60601 or RTCA/DO-160 testing that's a major problem. Very formal stuff with agencies involved but very necessary so people won't die.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

When I shake my cam, the CCD sensor jumps out of its socket

Reply to
halong

Dang! I miss seeing Jim Williams' crappy scope photos with the reflection of the flash (to see the graticule). Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Yeah, he insisted on using ancient Foothill-flea-market round-tube Tek scopes. I don't recall that he lost any points by taking pics off a scope face.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

On a sunny day (Thu, 17 May 2012 09:10:10 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

The problem I have with flash from a scope is that it often shows only a short part of the trace. Many years ago I bought a decent tripod, expensive but worth it. Setting it up with the Canon A470 only takes a minute. So mostly I take pics by hand now.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

part of the trace.

Get a digital scope! Freeze that trace and take as many pics as you like.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Got a couple of these National Instruments GPIB to Ethernet boxes. NI has a utility which allows you to send and receive data by issuing simple commands via the command line. Just write a batch script and you can automate downloading data points and images on many instruments.

If you use a remote shutter release on your camera, it makes this sort of screen capture much easier. I have an IR remote for my camera. I do this sort of screen capture technique on our old 7000 main frames when doing TDR work. If you want to correct distortion, there are free programs which will do distortion correction. Fulla.exe is one such program.

Reply to
qrk

You can use giggle mode, the timer thingy. Set it for 2 seconds which is usually enough time to stop the camera DTs.

Reply to
qrk

On a sunny day (Thu, 17 May 2012 10:15:31 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

part of the trace.

I designed a digital scope, but had no time to make a faster sampler yet:

But it has nice ASCII output:

Who needs a camera? :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

A *command line* pic editor? That is weird.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Joel Koltner wrote a program to capture the 11801 screen via RS232. Uses wxpython (so should be cross-platform). I have a copy but an official source seems to be here:

Here is a screenshot some random usenet scraping company seems to have located:

(I use GPIB so don't use it myself)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

That's nice. I did one to do jitter analysis from the 11801 serial port, but I didn't try to reproduce the whole screen.

Still, snapping a photo of the screen is pretty easy.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I had a loony tune character appear in one of the frames in a power point presentation I made and showed, not to long ago. I didn't put it there and I have no idea how it got there but it was sort of a personal attach that only a couple I can point at that may have been involved. Of course, you can't prove anything and it's not worth the battle.

This was on a PC at my work desk. Something tells me I am not the only one with access to my work account.

The audience thought it was amusing. I really didn't think it was, since we had a customer sitting there watching this. It may have help in some way, the customer did laugh at it, but still.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

what the F, I didn't know you were like that?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Look at that.. :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Newest thing I have is a TDS540.

This is what I did for RS-232

'Hardcopy of TDS540 screen 'Overwrites file Tek.bmp 'patched to clear garbage at beginning

OPEN "COM1:9600,N,8,1,BIN" FOR INPUT AS 1 OPEN "tek.bmp" FOR OUTPUT AS 2 x = 0 cx = POS(0) cy = CSRLIN Print "TDS540 Hardcopy Serial 9600 Baud" print "Press Hardcopy on TDS540 Now." LOCATE cy, cx main: a$ = INPUT$(1, 1) IF (a$ = "") OR ((a$ "B") AND (x = 0)) GOTO main IF (a$ "M") AND x = 1 THEN PRINT "HEADER ERROR" BEEP GOTO done END IF

PRINT #2, a$; x = x + 1 LOCATE cy, cx: PRINT x; IF x = 38462 GOTO done GOTO main done: CLOSE #2 CLOSE #1 print "TEK.BMP Contains Hardcopy" END

Probably have to tweak it to recognize the header. mike

Reply to
mike

You seem excited about it. Turns you on, eh?

Reply to
John S

Nice

Yes but I end up with this sort of thing:

This ones better, must have made a bit more effort:

Compare with a proper screen dump:

John Devereux
Reply to
John Devereux

Your camera doesn't have a timer function?

Reply to
JW