Californica to take back your Federal tax cut...

Den tirsdag den 30. januar 2018 kl. 16.24.33 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

m:

Fine, you guys make it however you want. :^) But I'm thinking cooking in it's own fat makes it better. (It's like a good (greasy) sausage.)

Oh one other thing about the thick layer of bacon fat, the bacon never sticks to the pan.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

This is how us guys do it in the Wild West:

Out in the wilderness all you really need is matches, a knife and some bacon:

I use a simple Weber kettle barbecue for just about everything. Meat, potatoes, vegetables, pizza, bread, bean dishes, stuffed jalapenos and whatever else my wife hands me to cook on weekends. It cost us around $80 over 20 years ago, has at least 2000 sessions on it and didn't need one single spare part. Talking about a good investment. It is likely to survive me some day.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

+1 for bacon in the oven. We lay a sheet of aluminum foil out on a cookie sheet, and then instead of using oil or something to prevent sticking, build an expedient "grill" out sheets of aluminum foil shaped into triangular "beams" reinforced with crumpled foil inside, bacon strips laid out on top
Reply to
bitrex

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You can cook just about everything outside. I can't remember the last time I used our kitchen for cooking a dinner. Probably 20+ years ago.

In the winter I often snatch charcoal from our wood stove which we fire with almond wood. Has a nice aroma. That results in an "instant start" of the barbecue and a pizza will be ready to eat in about 15 minutes that way. The taste versus one from the oven is no comparison. When I want to cook over a really hot fire with good flavor I use Manzanita wood. It is in a separate stack, never to be used just for the wood stove. That stuff is precious but grows abundantly out here. Whenever I come across a fallen Manzanita bush with my mountain bike I wish I had a trailer to carry some out.

The only extra tools we use on occasion are a roughly 0.080" or 2mm thick steel plate with handles, aluminum foil and a cast iron skillet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

But that wastes the grease. I know it's bad but I like to slosh the hash brown through there a bit and then cook it to a crisp. The surgeon general's jaw would probably drop but for health reasons we only do this once a week.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

I'm with George...

...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

afaict they have now realized that bacon fat, butter and such isn't bad and better than margarine and such, just don't eat for two, everything in moderation

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yep. Once married I never again experienced margarine... just butter and olive oil... and bacon fat... to "wilt" the spinach salad ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Wasn't it spinach where the food scientists said decades later "Oops, sorry folks, we were off by ... uhm ... an order of magnitude"?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Assuming this pot needs to be re-heated a lot, how do you keep that label so pristine? Or is the fat scooped out of there later?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Nah, grease is back on the menu! All that 'fat is bad' stuff is questionable. After cooking the bacon, I leave some fat in the pan for the frying up the eggs, or pancakes. At least there's one thing most of SED agree's with, Bacon is good.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

In Toulouse it seem everything is fried in duck fat :)

here you can get a tub of pork fat with bacon bits and fried onions to use as spread on rye brean

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Details! Details! "off" on WHAT? ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Neat little bucket with a strainer, kept in the fridge. Ladled or poured out to use/heat. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

On the iron content where a German chemist slipped in the decimal point. Or maybe their comma. No, the decimal point. Or maybe ... oops ...

When our grandparents grew up the common notion was that you won't have the slighest chance of becoming superman unless you eat copious amounts of spinach. It's become very quiet around that topic.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How do you create those labels? At least this one looks very professional.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I still like spinach ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

brother PT-1230 label maker. I have white-on-black and black-on-white cartridges, but there are pink ones for those living in Californica