California Still Figuring Out Construction Flashing

I don't think I have ever seen you calculate anything.

Are you in the food service business? That explains a lot.

 Click to see the full signature

It was a glorious ski season. We got 80 feet of snow at the top of Sugar Bowl.

I was skiing on the 4th of July.

Bottom of Disney:

Selfie:

 Click to see the full signature

On 20 Jun 2015 00:02:25 GMT, Jasen Betts Gave us:

Finally, someone with enough brains to have observed what was in place. In such cases, the normal "end plate" the row of joists gets would be split at the region meant for an overhanging 'deck' placement.

Yes, there were rotted. However YES, they were also SEVERELY overloaded by non-thinking idiots.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 19:22:37 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

You're a goddamned retard, child. Your pathetic posts illustrate that fact quite well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You're severly wrong in your opinion that 13 people is considered an excessive load. it's more than normal load, but not close to the mandated design load.

if something interesing happens outside, people crowd onto balconies, that's what they're for. the authors of the design rules take this into account.

Given that the same timbers support the floor of the room behind, the design load they are capable of is possibly much higer than what is mandated.

Personally I don't like the look of the walls themselves, especially if that's fibre-cement with render over it, also the fault could be the front and sides of the platform leaking, but speculation thi early is pointless.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

On 20 Jun 2015 07:16:16 GMT, Jasen Betts Gave us:

A 4 foot by 6 foot "balcony" is IN NO WAY "meant for" 13 idiots to crowd onto. That is NOT by ANY means "what they are meant for", much less what they are designed for, you absolute idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's not the water that rots the wood. Wood can survive under water for centuries, as the untreated wood poles that support Venice Italy. However, bring any of those poles out of the water and expose them to air, they begin to rot immediately.

What rots the wood is attack by fungus, bacteria, insects, bugs, and anything that digests cellulose. Moisture promotes the growth of these wood eaters. In addition, pressure treated lumber doesn't really penetrate vary far into the wood. It varies by the type of pressure treating but my guess(tm) is no more than 3/8 inch. Once anything gets past the zone that is treated with fungicide and insecticide, it's over for the wood.

This story of a deck built with pressure wood might offer some clues. Be sure to read the reader comments. More detail:

Incidentally, I have about 400 sq-ft of decking (including wood stairs and landings). I've unscrewed the deck boards, resurface the best looking side with a planer, and replaced any boards that were hopeless. I also reinforce (with sister joists) any joists that were problematic. Minor rot and insect damage gets filled with either Bondo or epoxy filler. I've owned the house for 45 years and have had to do this approximately 3 times. Note the difference between the lower (before) and upper (after) stairs:

Whether you can get away with longer rebuild intervals or zero maintenance with composite decking is debatable. I think you can. The oldest composite company, Trex, was founded in 1996. 20 years should be long enough to determine how these decks weather, but around here, Trex has only been popular for about half that time, which isn't really enough. I've seen problems, but don't recall the details. I can ask if you're interested.

"What material should you choose for your deck"?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

[snip]

In other words a Californica climate... even rots people >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Very true, which explains why California has more surfers, sailors, and divers than Arizona. We're proactive at preventing air-water boundary layer induced brain rot by living and playing in or on the water.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Actually I believe Arizona has more boats per capita than California... the lake system from Roosevelt Dam all the way down to Phoenix plus the Colorado River are our playground ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Arizonans are freeze-dried, so naturally they don't rot. They are the Beef Jerkey versions of Americans.

 Click to see the full signature

Nope. Based on 2010 boat sales, Calif is #3 and Arizona isn't even on the list: By number of marinas, Calif is #5 and Arizona is again missing.

The National Marine Manufacturers Association numbers for 2010 show California as #4 in total boat registration, with Arizona yet again missing:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Total $$ per capita ownership

Neither is that.

Nope. Not that, either.

Reply to
krw

Ok, I'll dig some more. I was in a rush to leave the house and didn't spend much time on it.

"Arizona Has More Boats Per Capita Than Any State. Reality or Myth?"

In 2010, California had 2174 boats per 100,000 population and was #43 in the per capita rankings. Arizona had 2117 boats per 100,000 population and was #45 in the per capita rankings. That's not much of a difference, but California does have slightly more boats per 100,000 population. However, there are 42 other states that have more boats per capita than either Arizona or California making both Arizona and California effective land lubbers.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Neither surprise me, since other than the ocean (and ocean-going boats are *very* expensive) in CA, there isn't a lot of water in either state. In places like Minnesota, it's not uncommon for people to live (both litterally and figuratively) on the water. It also doesn't surprise me at all that CA spends more on boats than anyone else (ocean-going boats are *very* expensive and CA has more than its share of people with more money than brains).

Reply to
krw

It washes dishes in its spare time from its day job as a janitor.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

For a start, they should just outright ban extending floor joists through a wall to form a balcony. It creates an absurd risk to interior timbers that are very expensive to replace.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Not absurd, but certainly a risk. I have one deck running most of the length of my house that uses joists extended through the outside wall. The trick to keeping them from rotting through the wall is simple inspection. When I see a problem, I try to fix it with epoxy sealer, sister joists, metal plates, or patchwork. If the damage is extensive, I cut off the problem joist, apply some exterior protection (Tyvex, caulk, tar paper, etc), and use metal joist hangers to support the replacement joist. Out of about 20 joists along this wall, I've replaced 2 joists in the last 43 years and have 2 more to replace that are now looking problematic.

Take another look at the photo of the Berkeley balcony: and notice that the intact lower balcony is totally enclosed and sealed for aesthetic reasons. Two problem:

  1. There's no way to inspect the balcony joists for rot or other damage.
  2. There are no vents to let moisture out in the summer, which will eventually cause wood rot.

Besides the lack of proper flashing and drainage, the lack of ventilation almost guarantees that the wood will rot. Unventilated air spaces are almost always a problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Arizona jokes from my last trek through ('09)... (note: I actually like Arizona)

Arizona, the state whose greatest claim to fame is having a giant hole in it.

Hotter than Hades.

Q: What's an Arizona river? A: That's where the sage brush grows, instead of the live oak.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

We have an ocean, and Minnesota doesn't. Maybe that's why we have more ocean-going boats.

 Click to see the full signature