California Braces for Dangerous Weekend of Record-Setting Heat

The National Weather Service issued an excessive heat warning for much of California beginning Friday at noon and extending into Monday night. Forecasters are predicting dangerous triple-digit highs and warm overnight lows for much of the state’s inland regions.

Fred Bloggs

's_tallest_thermometer They're predicting 49° on the weekend. 121°F.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Nice flat-black asphalt.

Reply to
jlarkin

And rather shoddy construction.

Presumably the refurbished sign grabs data off the free weather.gov website. That's how I'd do it anyway.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Next it will start spalling from overheat.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I think your calculation is incorrect. I get 337A. Please show your work.

Reply to
John S

Modern experts are disputing that old record in Death Valley, saying it was in error.

Fred Bloggs

Our next-door neighbor, the Bulgarian woman, is sitting on her deck sipping coffee, dressed in jeans and a parka.

Reply to
jlarkin

's_Law%22

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm so old I've entered my second childhood. You lost on this one, too.

And you're welcome.

Reply to
John S

Oh, that's a good one. And so true.

Reply to
John S

Go north.

Reply to
John S

You're talking about one tiny little part of a larger region that is experiencing very serious heat conditions.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

It's moderate along the coast, on the west side of California, and in the mountains to the east. It's *cold* at night in both places. The flat central valley gets hot. It has been radically altered by human activity in the past couple of hundred years, so comparing temperature records is tricky.

Relax. Design something.

Reply to
jlarkin

There are better sources of weather data. Most of the US services get their current weather information from NCDC/NOAA:

I could build a weather web site with the tools they provide.

Once the various services have the current data, they can get forecasts from ECMWF, GFS, NAM, ICON, HRRR, etc. Once they have the numbers, they produce a weather guess and presentation web site:

However, the forecast accuracy vary with location and algorithm:

Incidentally, the Baker CA 134ft thermometer is currently cooking at

116F (87C).

If computers, sensors, algorithms, and models all fail, there's always The Old Farmer's Almanac:

Well, maybe not. The California prediction for July 7-19, 2021 is "Isolated showers, cool".

Jeff Liebermann