Cad software opinion?

Hi, i'm new on pcb cad software, so i've heard different opinions on various software...making a comparison between orcad and altium, the second seems more used...is it right?why?

Reply to
eryer

Simple - Altium is being actively developed and improved, Orcad is in cash cow mode, only the minimum changes necessary to generate maintance revenue. Altium is a complete, integrated package, Orcad is a bunch of point tools shoe-horned in together...

Yes, I am an expert in Orcad! 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I don't believe either ORCAD or Altium release the number of active customers they have, but I think it's a safe bet that ORCAD still has more than Altium -- ORCAD has been around a *long* time. On the other hand, Altium is surely selling more *new* seats per year that ORCAD is.

Charlie's explanation is precisely why.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Charlie, Did you receive my E-mail queries regarding LTspice? ...Jim Thompson

What do you call a government agency, as inept and inefficient as
the Post Office, but with the ability to literally rather than
just figuratively get in your pants?     TSA >:-}

Hi Jim, Not that I recall. Want to try again?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

On their way. Previously sent to Verizon address. ...Jim Thompson

I'll have you know that I have never once referred to anyone here
as being a member of the ignorant, hateful, ugly, mooching class.

I have always been kind, referring to them by their own chosen
name... Democrats   O:-)

mers

um is

Speaking of this... do you know if Mentor Graphics PADS is also in "cash-cow mode"? The versions I've used have all been buggy.. at least the Router part.

Does Altium have a good interactive router mode?

best regards Bjorn W

Reply to
BW

In my opinion, PADS is in the same mode -- although perhaps not quite as bad, as I believe on-going development hasn't been off-shored yet. Heck, they still don't support installing to a directory with spaces in the path name (like, oh, say, c:\program files...) with the official explanation being this restriction is due to their "UNIX heritage" -- ignoring the fact that, if anything, UNIX has supported spaces in oath names for rather longer than Windows (...which first supported them FIFTEEN YEARS AGO, with Windows

95...) -- how many decades do they need?

I haven't used Altium since around 2002, so I can't really say -- the current very has changed a lot in the user-interface area, AFAICT.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yes, PADS is pretty much in cash cow mode. It depends on what you mean, but yes, I believe Altium has a decent interactive router mode.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Beg your pardon???

Reply to
JeffM

Ext2 supports spaces in paths, and it came out in January, 1993?

Or am I mistaken in thinking that Ext2 has *always* supported spaces in paths?

Heck, the *Amiga's* original file system supported spaces in paths, and I first used one of those in the late '80s...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

You realize, of course, that those aren't spaces. Every place you want a space, you're actually inserting THREE characters i.e. %20 (You've probably see this stupidity in URLs.) i.e. Picture%20of%20my%20uncle%20at%20the%20farm.jpg That is an abomination. Putting spaces in paths is stupid. A pox on anyone who does that and puts up files to share.

Reply to
JeffM

Really! -- I was quite unaware of that...

For people who live largely on the command line, sure, I'd agree... but for the average Ma and Pa Kettle today, who don't even know what a command line is, not letting them use spaces in path names and document names would seem quite an arbitrary restriction.

Now where's that shell script to replace all the spaces with underscores... :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Joel Koltner wrote:

Hyphens are better if you are going to put any of them on the 'Net. Google traditionally sees underscores as characters so Joel_Koltner and Joel-Koltner get treated differently.

Google is another reason that %20word in URLs is stupid. Now you have to search twice: once for word and again for 20word.

Reply to
JeffM