Re: Monster Cables

> Has there ever been a double blind test of cables? >

The ultimate purpose of those cables is making their owners happier. Indeed the monster cables serve quite well for this purpose. Only bores and geeks care for the tests because they are having fun by spoiling the pleasure of somebody else. But does this make them happy?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

They also serve the purpose for which they were intended (fleecing the stupid). I hardly think this is a good thing.

Spending $2 on zip cord rather than $100 on Monster cable does. If I can save 98% on anything, I'm happy. I'll try to save others money too, if I can. Monster cable is a fraud and Monster deserves to be shown for what they are. Hopefully their customers will then have the CEO drawn and quartered, or worse. I doubt it'll happen though, too many of their customers are terminally stupid.

Then there is BestBuy, et. al., and their highway robbery on cables ($60 for HDMI cables?!). I suppose they make nothing on the TVs and pay the light bill with extended warranties and HDMI cables.

--
Keith
Reply to

I have the question: What is the purpose of gold, diamonds, pieces of art?

Sure. Buy at Walmart, eat at McDonalds. A $10 chinese replica is as good as the original Rolex, right?

Did they ask you?

Where is the border line between fraud and not fraud?

You should thank them for inventing a safe trick to make the idiots work for nothing. People just want to be different.

Why don't make and sell the cables of your own then?

Could be. Why not, if it works.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Dead right it is! If the job is telling the time. What job do cables do?

Reply to
Laurence Payne

Good one! :-)

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Beauty. Is that what you think snake-oil botique cables are about?

OK, so you don't believe in helping others even when they don't know they need help. I'll keep that in mind next time I read one of your posts.

Making unsubstantiated statemets (what they used to call "lying").

Fine, send me your money. Is that "different" enough for you? I'll even send you a $10 cable for $100 if it will make you feel any better about it.

Plenty of people sell excellent cables at sensible prices. Or are you suggesting becoming another schyster like the botique cable vendors?

And people rob banks. "It works." Your logic leaves me cold.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Exactly. I see no conceptual difference.

Certainly. You can't help under compulsion.

Every day they ask me to send money on TV and in email spams. What is different about your proposition?

If it would make me feel any better, I would certainly buy it. But I am not obsessed with cables so I'd rather buy a bottle of good cognac.

I suggest to quit whinning about the unfair life.

As long as robbing banks could be economically profitable for some people (considering all tradeoffs), they will keep robbing banks.

My logic is logical.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

I didn't know cables were a thing of beauty. I'm beginning to wonder about your sanity.

Is that a bet?

Nothing. Fraud is fraud.

So you do agree that Monster cables are a fraud.

Good plan. Go fer it.

So you have no issues with it?

Perhaps, but your assumptions are out in left hyperspace.

--
Keith
Reply to

I wonder how did you made it through my plonk filter? ...Ahhh. Never mind. It is fixed already.

Aside from the usual trolls and spammers, I plonk skyback, macon, sloman, mpm, terrel, bloggs, donkey, jamie, slaughter, bored, neopax and you, of course. There is nothing personal. The S.E.D. traffic is too high to be manageable; so I have to select the sources with the higher SNR. This brings it down to somewhat 30 messages per day. From those the 1-2 messages are worth reading.

Have a good time.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Some of us have moved beyond doubt.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

I think calling Monster cables a fraud is going too far. Not my idea of a cable I'd plunk down for, but still VERY nice well-made cables. I can assure you that with any listening ability at all, you don't need a double blind test to see that zip cord sucks! Heavy wire much improves speaker damping and can be heard. The question of if that small difference in sound is WORTH it to you is quite another. Personally, I make my own cables. I like gold plating because it prevents corrosion and tends to improve contact. I use as heavy a conductor as possible because it does make a difference. I try to include a really strong strain relief because eventually cables get used and things break and pull out. Monster, of course does all of this for you. And yes, they charge like mad for the service. Is it worth it? Not to me. But maybe it is to you. That is for you to decide.

But as someone else noted Monster has done a lot to raise cable awareness. I remember when many supposedly "quality" systems came with some thin hookup wire as cables. Feh. ANYONE can hear that suck. So if you root around now you can easily find quite a few decent cables for sale cheap with nice connectors, heavy-ass wire and all the rest. Who needs a "name" brand? If you want some "ultimate" cable then wire your system with 1 inch copper tubing! Not very flexible but lots of copper.

Where I draw the line is when cable makers start doing the sales pitch like designating which direction the signals have to go through the wires or having some cables for "jazz" and other cables for "rock". Yeah sure, I believe that...NOT!

Reply to
Benj

Great to see you post, I recall from recent googling for suggested mods for the MCA SP1 that your moniker was in that context somehow. I found a link to the diagram, but it leads to nowhere ....

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Reply to
Peter Larsen

Nobody's holding the customers at gunpoint.

Did you know that it is morally wrong to allow a fool to keep his money? What I wonder is, if they're _that_ stupid, how did they get all of that money in the first place?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

You don't know the point of view of the audiophool.

Why should I buy my girl a diamond, when cubic zirconia looks just the same?

They like the difference they perceive. To them, those cables are "better" by enough that they're willing to pay money for them.

Why do you want to stand in their way? Wouldn't it be much more logical to get a piece of the action? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

... I'm not sure what the purpose

How terribly sad.

Have a nice day. Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It was left to them by inheritance. (Minus the government's take.)

Reply to
Richard Crowley

It doesn't. Diamond has relatively low dispersion, and the difference is plainly visible.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Or they took it from people who were even dumber.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Your loss...

Good, why not plonk the rest of SED as well?

Conservatives always do. It's part of their character.

--
Keith
Reply to

So I see.