Built-in audio playback module

I am looking for the simplest way to store a single MP3 file (sound effect) and play it back in loop mode from _within_ an electronic device. IOW not requiring externally connected hardware.

I have considered analog voice recorders but they are only available up to 120 seconds (as kits). I have also seen a system that reads off an SD card. Both are relatively expensive.

Can anyone suggest any alternatives?

Tom Meyer

Reply to
Tom Meyer

Tom, Need a lot more info. How big is your sound effect? How good does it have to sound? I am doing a lot of sound files (speech) on a simple PIC processor right now, but it used ADPCM, not MP3. MP3 takes a little more processing, that might require a DSPic or similiar device. Haven't tried that myself, yet...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Does it have to be an MP3? (I think many MP3 decoders are licensed)

Are you just looking for "voice grade" (bandwidth) reproduction? I.e., what characteristics can you "settle for" in your data representation and reproduction? How deep/long do you want to record (or store) data?

E.g., there are several audio CODECs that are established technology -- some even "free" that could be implemented to compress the data. If you aren't concerned about the memory requirment, you could just store raw samples and push them out a D/AC (various technologies available for that choice as well).

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Have you looked at these ?

Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

1 x Sound Module - Somo 14D = £20.54 from coolcomponents.co.uk ( other distys world wide...)
Reply to
TTman

Brilliant! Just what I was looking for.

Now ... if they only made a function generator module like this. Why do we keep building the same capabilities over and over again in 100 different ways when we have this low cost approach?

Tm Meyer

Reply to
Tom Meyer

What "functions" do you want ?

Using an audio program, you should be able to "build" an audio stream that is your exact function.

Everyone has a different function.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Apparently these low power Chinese Z80 microprocessors work as subsystems.

The Chinese build them into..

$10 MP3 players, JPEG electronic photo picture frames, Movie players, CAMERAS, Talking kids toys, etc. etc..

Bottom end versions run cool at 24 MHz with a top end of 60 MHz and do USB, LCD, MP/3 while upper versions do MPEG video and JPEG images.

I'd like to see one set up to run CP/M 2.2 with those multimedia functions. Has anybody in the Western world used these chips as a SUBSYSTEM?

Greegor