BTL reverse current flow

Can someone please tell me if the direction of current flow reverses every half cycle at the output of a bridge tied load or push/pull power amp?

I was told it does, as opposed to single ended which does not.

Bill Stein

Reply to
Bill Stein

"Bill Stein"

** Yep.

If it did not the load would be receiving a large DC component.

** I presume you mean single ended, capacitor coupled output ?

In that case, the cap charges to the half rail voltage and acts pretty much like a battery in series with the load. It cancels the DC component while passing the AC one in both directions - alternately slightly charging and discharging each time the current polarity changes.

The case of the BTL stage is interesting in that there is always an imaginary point inside the load impedance that remains at zero volts compared to ground. If you imagine this zero point to be ground also, then the operation of the BTL stage is obvious.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well, that depends.

A single-ended amplifier that feeds a load through a big ol' capacitor can certainly both push and pull current, as long as it doesn't do so _on average_.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

"Bill Stein"

** OK - spell out what you mean by " the direction "??

In particular - do you maybe mean from the amp into the load as opposed to from the load back to the amp?

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison