Get ready for the dark ages!

Hey, it's faster than many people texting words in English... :-)

...although I suspect that newer methods of entering text on phones such as Swype or SlideIt (nice video:

-- Swype also has good videos here:
-- it's surprisingly fast; I no longer dread sending short e-mails from my phone.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I find talking works even smoother than Swype... and with far less errors ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Old fogey!

Just kidding I don't text either. I have a 16 yr old son that chose to not have a phone rather then have one that wouldn't text. A couple of years ago his sister took a school trip to Europe, we got her a Tracphone to use while there. When my son started to drive I told him I'd buy some minutes for that Tracphone, so he would have a phone. Apparantley it was not kewl, or hip or narly or something. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Jan 2011 20:42:25 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

Dah dah dah I did a test for that once in the army. I just asked if they never heard about other modulation systems.

For example for your amateur license you needed to be able to do morse at some speed. That was enough for me to never get that license, as if anybody would bother to use morse. I think for some forms of the amateur license here you no longer need it these days, But hey we have 27 MHz and no license needed, so why bother to play their game. And 27 MHz can go world wide sometimes, sun spots helping...

Nevertheless is is a good video. But in modern times soldiers have cell phones. And of course the enemy can listen in, just like those drones that sent unencrypted.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I have a TracFone that does everything I need a telephone to do. When somebody calls me, it rings, I push the "answer" button, we talk, and when were done sometimes it hangs up by itself, or I can press the "end" button. When I want to call somebody, I key in the number, hit "send," they answer or not, if not they usually have "voice mail," we talk, and when we're done, I press the "end" button.

It was ten bucks at the drug store, but I _do_ have to buy minutes cards - 60 minutes for $20, or 3 min/$, 120 min for $30, or 4 min/$, or 200 min. for $40, 5 min/$.

I wonder if this is what they call a "burn phone" on NCIS and such?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Texting using anything except voice input is just sooooo old fashioned

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

as

gly

Fewer ;-)

Reply to
Richard Henry

Is there physical constant equivalent to bandwidth X time?

Reply to
Richard Henry

"throughput?"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

(b/s)*s = Bits

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

speed.

to use morse.

Plenty of amateurs did nothing else. But I never did understand why one had to demonstrate an ability to receive Morse to get a licence to use the lower frequency bands. I did the UK amateur radio exam when I was about 15, but while trying to learn to receive morse at the required rate, rather lost interest in the whole thing anyway.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I spent two years in U. S. Army Signal Corps during WW II in North Africa and Italy. Much of the Allied intelligence at the tactical level came from listening to the German radio nets. CW, (Morse Code), is much better when sending cryptographic encoded messages. It also requires simpler radio equipment as compared to voice.

(I can't remember ever "hurrying to the hotel", however.)

I was involved in deriving the requirements for the first U. S.Navy communication satellite system, (Fleet Sat). It was constrained to teletype to better allow for secure cryptographic messages, as well as to better utilize the limited bandwidth available. Some of the higher ups in the Navy were concerned that the system did not provide voice.

I'm happy to see that out kids have re-learned texting, which they can do without revealing message content to the "listeners" in the room!

--
Virg Wall, K6EVE
Reply to