Broadband impedance matching of series RL load

The solution is indeed trivial -- Zobel network. Funny thing is that I had workrf on a similar problem about three years ago, derived the simple expressions for this simple but very useful sub-circuit, and then completely forgotten about it. The frequency response of a Zobel network is flat over any frequency range of choice, thereby "converting" a series R-L or series R-C load to a resistor.

Reply to
dakupoto

Thanks for jogging my memory. I had worked on a similar design issue about three years ago, derived the simple expressions for the Zobel network, and then completely forgotten about it.

Reply to
dakupoto

So true. In fact, all approaches to broadband impedance matching are governed by the Bode-Fano inequalities. The solution that I re-discovered( I had worked on a very similar problem about three years ago) is the Zobel network, that effectively "converts" a series R-C or series R-L load to a resistor -- used to impedance match signals to gates of RF/microwave FETs.

Reply to
dakupoto

Yup, a 1-pole diplexer. There are more complicated ones.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs