Boring Cars

Driving home along Market Street, in tons of traffic, it was like being in a black+white movie. Most of the time, all the cars in sight were grey, silver, white, or black. Once in a while there would be a dark blue, almost black, one, and occasionally a dark rusty color that I suppose is trying to pass for red. The only cars with any color are either old, taxis, or small cars... Minis, Smart Cars, like that. The other day I did see a pink, absolutely pink, new Yaris. SUVs are invariably grey or black. All these vehicles look like old HP test gear.

Is the rest of the world this color impaired? Google street views of London, Paris, and Rome look similar.

I was looking at new Audis, and they theoretically come in blue and red, but the dealer can't get either.

John

I don't know.. it's a pet peeve of mine. The hockey arena parking lot is packed with black SUVs and the Chinese supermarket with silver and beige-y Corollas and Camrys with a smattering of similarly-colored mini-vans.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Larkin certainly seems to fit the Audi model ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Ferrari red has also been referred to as "arrest me red".

The less your car stands out from the crowd, the less attention it gets from the law.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Misery loves company, especially this one.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Well, there were three beetles, one a very nice (not too dark) green, one a smart yellow, and the last a red one pinstriped to _look_ like a ladybug. The lady driving the yellow beetle wore a totally yellow outfit (dress, handbag, shoes all yellow) - really neat.

Reply to
Robert Baer

In the UK there are a fair number of red and blue cars on the roads, a few yellow cars and the odd bright orange car now. Orange is currently the rarest of the pure colours (you might see one every few hundred miles). Seeing two yellow cars on the same stretch of road is unusual. Racing green has lost out to other colours. Telegraph has a recent article complete with full statistics of recent BCA sales:

Silver 25%, Blue 21%, Black 18%, Grey 10%, Red 9%

A worrying proportion of new UK vehicles are basically road coloured!

A few high end cars and minis have LCD paint with two tone angle dependent colour. Also some of the Smart cars have funky paint jobs elemental themes like water, fire. But most are pastel shades of metallic grey or just plain old ugly shades of black for SUVs.

Japan is (was) pretty weird where most of the private cars were white. Ours was blue which made it easy to find in the carpark.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Maybe it's market segmentation at work? Boring cars for boring people, fun cars for fun people who are predominantly young and single? In marketing's opinion, at least.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

My car is bright red. My wife's is blue. We have done our part to make traffic look more pleasing to your eyes.

Thinking of the parking lot where I work, I think that of the 30 or so cars within my view, there were only two of interesting colors.

Most people who buy things like big SUVs aren't thinking much about the color. They just want a great honking lump of metal to drive. On many of the smaller cars, I am sure that the brighter colors of paint would add $3.50 to the production cost.

Reply to
MooseFET

Robert Baer wrote in news:x62dnbH0BKfngVHXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

Google Banana George! ...another yellow freak.

some people WANT to stick out and be noticed,but most people(IMO) want to blend in and go unnoticed,especially by police. The less attention *I* attract,the happier I am.

also,some colors show dirt much better than others. My black 86 Prelude was the hardest car to keep clean.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Many of these cars are almost exactly the color of asphalt. They go unnoticed mostly by other drivers at intersections.

Your average policeman is smarter than your average driver. And lidar guns are color-blind. [1]

John

[1] and need to have their calibration checked often. We're involved in a project to do that, basically create a time series of echoes that simulate moving cars to a TOF lidar gun.

I checked a few world cities using Google Earth and did see a few reds (mostly the muddy brownish shade) in London, maybe a few more in Rome, but still mostly all colorless in an average scene. Surprisingly, Tokyo seemed to be the worst.

Same here, nearly invisible against the background.

I always forget where I park. My next car will be true, flaming red.

This is my old MG Midget, which I sold to Adrian. He immaculately restored it and painted the ocean all over it.

John

I am neither young nor single, but I bet I'm more fun than most people who are. I want a red car.

John

There are probably a lot of people who don't want a red or yellow car, because they stick out like a sore thumb and are more likely to get pulled over, just because they attract attention.

Or, it's a symptom of Armageddon. ;-) (remember that Mac commercial, many years ago?)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Our old car was red. It also had this huge dent on the top from when years ago a large tree branch fell on it. So it was pretty easy to pick out in a parking lot. Getting insurance for that red car was always interesting... they would note that there was no evidence of any collision damage on the car, but had to make a special note of the large dent in the top because the standard forms did not consider that, well, the top of a car could get damaged that way :-). Parking was always interesting too, most other cars seemed to try to stay away from our car :-).

My wife just got a silver Toyota Camry. In any parking lot, there are at least two dozen completely identical looking silver Toyota Camrys.

I have gone up and tried to put my key into the wrong silver Toyota Camry on several occasions. Sometimes I mistake a silver Honda for our new car.

I am very proud of the two-tone paint job I did on our hose a few years back, vibrant green trim. I love it. Everyone else hates it.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Our Q45 is a dark slate blue. My Frontier PU is RED ;-)

I always wanted to get a car in that yellow, often seen on Porsche's... a color I called "baby barf yellow" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

In 1988, I was making decent money, so I bought a black Mustang convertible right off the showroom floor. Well, it was in the lot, but same effect.

I met a girl while driving that car, and dated her for almost a year. ;-)

We'd go out and wash our cars together in her driveway - she had a Jeep Cherokee. Once, while having a conversation about car washing, she said, "At least I don't make love to my car while I'm washing it." I'd wash it, Turtle wax it, and use Armor-all on the top and the tires. I LOVED that car!

Then I lost the job, went broke, lost the girl and sold the house, but it took them almost a year to repo the car. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Which TOF?

?:-/

"Transfer of Funds" sounds likely - from your pocket to theirs. ;-P

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Time of flight.

John

Weird that San Francisco is famous for its radically-colored houses, and almost all the cars are colorless.

John

We presently have a silver VW Jetta wagon, because we live in the desert, and the lighter the better. If given a choice, we would both prefer red, like our first car, but out here that would be flaming red, literally!

As for our house, it is white with vibrant red trim. When we first painted it, the neighbors tried to get us to paint it back to beige, but we stalled until it became unnecessary.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.