Bob Parker's Blue ESR Meter - query

Apart from capacitor ESR checking, I use this meter for checking and tracking battery ESRs. Can anyone give me a safe upper voltage level opinion for not damaging the meter in this use? I have used it to check

2S Li-ion but could you get away with a 10S (42V) battery or 48V e-bike battery for example? The meter is too useful to damage! Or perhaps a standard capacitor in series would be a trick for protection? Thanks C+
Reply to
Charlie+

Look at the voltage rating of C5, C6, C7 and the wattage rating of R23 subtract the supply voltage (5v) and there's your answer; and if you want to upgrade the voltage rating, there's your shopping list.

Jasen Betts

Nice to see people picking up Bob's suggestions of using the ESR meter to check batteries! Bob and I talked about that in the late 90s.

The capacitors protecting the inputs are 50V or 63V rated as per the schematics. Should be safe for 42 to 48VDC batteries.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 12:41:35 -0700, John Robertson snipped-for-privacy@flippers.com wrote as underneath :

OK just a feedback update for interest, my meter is the Anatek version of the Bob Parker kit built about 10 years ago and the input components are as per the schematic, just checked for safety as up thread! I tested my two 10S 36-42v e-bike batteries one about 7 years old and the other 1 year old. Used the output terminals with the batteries ready for use at about 80% charge, part of the ESR reads will be from the BMS circuits and all the internal wiring. Older battery : 30 Ohms (this one is still OK but near end of useful life, down to about 1/4 of original milage on the clock) Newer battery : 14 Ohms. C+

Reply to
Charlie+