blast from past

So you're telling me that my as-of-yet-unconceived son and I can build some really cool go-karts about the time he's, oh, say, 12 and my wife won't even realize the mortal danger I'm putting him in until the thing is finished, eh?

This sounds interesting! :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Have fun ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

The torque is just the problem. AFAIK some electric vehicles had to be throttled down a bit. Even the Tesla supposedly "ate" transmissions early on.

I guess delivering the juice to the motor also has its limits.

Even the builders of electric vehicles aren't immune to the acceleration surprise, see 2nd half:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Glen and son replaced starter motors after each "sprint" :-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

German

I checked

Letra-Set on

transmitter in '66.

lifting

(scratched).

here

regen

so, but a

"woodtone", or

I'll get her what she wants. It *won't* be an Audi.

Reply to
krw

German

I checked

Letra-Set on

transmitter in '66.

lifting

(scratched).

here

that

regen

so, but a

"woodtone", or

Ah, *rentals*. I thought it was perhaps a Kalifornica thing.

Reply to
krw

German

time I checked

Letra-Set on

transmitter in '66.

lifting

was.

(scratched).

here

that

regen

liking

so, but a

"woodtone", or

modern

breakfasts I

No, California is actually pretty free WRT cars. Ok, Diesels and smog and all that, that's tough. But other than that you can get just about anything registered. A friend built himself a Cobra with an Edelbrock racing engine in there. It sounds like 10 Harleys together and when he steps on it all the leaves on the ground are gone. He took me on a brief tour and that thing really rocks. Don't ask about the gas mileage ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

What for is a starter motor in an electric vehicle? Or did they use those as the main motor?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

German

I checked

Letra-Set on

transmitter in '66.

lifting

(scratched).

here

that

regen

so, but a

"woodtone", or

How about a Dodge Challenger, as long as they can be had with a HEMI?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Main motor :-)

They even built an Audi killer... one motor on each wheel :-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
[snip extraneous and useless input]

Dodge Trucks can get me salivating.

Once-upon-a-time, I rented a Ford 11-passenger van to move Girl Scouts to camp.

One of the (female) parents came separately in a Dodge Ram pick 'em up truck.

Because of a forest fire advisory, it was decided to leave the van at the camp (for maximum evacuation capability), and I'd drive the Dodge Ram back to Phoenix and return 3-days later.

Wow! Drives comfortably like my Q45 but with maybe 50% more power!

Drool :-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

German

time I checked

Letra-Set on

transmitter in '66.

lifting

was.

(scratched).

here

that

regen

liking

so, but a

"woodtone", or

modern

breakfasts I

interior

No more Chryslers, either. Gack! We actually were looking at an Audi *many* moons ago, but found their reliability to be really poor and their engineering/marketing suspect, at best.

Reply to
krw

Especially if it had a Cummins Turbo-Diesel. But you have to wear a Stetson, Jeans and boots (with spurs) when driving one of those :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

German

time I checked

used Letra-Set on

transmitter in '66.

lifting

was.

(scratched).

discontinued here

that

regen

liking

or so, but a

"woodtone", or

modern

breakfasts I

but

everything

interior

Yeah, same here. But a Challenger, man, that's a different story ...

I was very happy with my big fat 1987 Audi station wagon, no major repairs, ever. Former neighbor has it now, still runs as on day one and he really puts the long-haul miles on it. Asked him if he had any major repairs in the last 13 years. "Nope". Ok, one fender and a big dent in the back when others hit the parked Audi. But that ain't Audi's fault and was paid for by the other drivers' insurance.

I miss that car.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

German

I checked

Letra-Set on

transmitter in '66.

lifting

(scratched).

here

that

regen

so, but a

"woodtone", or

I am so sick of grey, white, black, silver, and repulsive pearl-colored cars. You can drive for blocks around here and see nothing but asphalt-colored cars. When I saw that true-red Audi for sale, I had to have it.

That Mercedes is a decent shade of red, sort of arterial blood color. I've started to see a few new cars on the street that are actual colors, not just midnight blue or mud red, but *colors*. Maybe things are turning around.

Those Germans sure know how to make cars. 0-60 in 3.7 seconds isn't bad at all. That's 0.75 Gs, if I did the math right.

John

Idiot, showing off without a helmet.

I did that once, jammed a motorcycle into the wheel well of a car that ran a stop sign in front of me. I flew over her hood, somersaulted on the ground a few times, and came up OK. She screamed. Not showing off, had helmet. Forks were seriously bent.

John

German

time I checked

used Letra-Set on

transmitter in '66.

lifting

was.

(scratched).

discontinued here

that

regen

liking

or so, but a

"woodtone", or

modern

breakfasts I

but

everything

interior

The A3 is superb to drive, especially in the mountains, or in snow or wet. It just doesn't break loose. The mechanics are wonderful and the electronics is annoying. No problems so far; if it breaks, I'll just have it fixed. If all I wanted was reliable, I'd drive a Toyota or some other little-old-lady car.

Chrysler has sure cornered the ugly-car market.

John

German

time I checked

used Letra-Set on

transmitter in '66.

lifting

was.

(scratched).

discontinued here

that

regen

liking

or so, but a

"woodtone", or

modern

breakfasts I

but

everything

I was shocked when I moved to CA. The only vehicle inspection is smog, and new cars get a few years off for free. In Louisiana, we had a "brake inspection" every six months! In a place so flat you barely need brakes.

John

For one-offs, at least, on aluminum (or most any metal), I just use toner transfer, almost the same way I put PCB patterns onto copper blanks.

If you use the right type of inkjet paper (or a glossy magazine page) in a laser printer, you can use a clothes iron to transfer the toner to metal in just a few minutes.

One great thing about it is that you can use any kind of artwork that you can make and print with your computer and laser printer! So besides just letters and numbers (and of any size, font, etc that's available), you can easily have things like circular knob scales (tic marks and numbers, or whatever), logos, basically anything you can dream up, draw, and print.

I have only tried it with the older black-only laser printers, like the old HP LaserJet 4, III, and II. And you do have to very-slightly roughen the surface, and get it very clean.

The way I did it to make PCBs has the details, at

omg/gooteepc.htm .

You might have to practice, once or twice, before getting it perfect, assuming you have the right paper. Sorry I don't know what that paper make/model is, any more, because they keep changing the stuff, and I haven't done it for a while.

Anyway, one good thing about it is that if you mess up, you can just clean the toner off with lacquer thinner and start over. When you've got it right, clear-coat it with something and it should last until the coating comes off.

For PCBs, it's really quick and easy, enabling me to go from computer screen to finished board in under an hour; great for prototyping. The laser printer toner is mostly plastic. And PCB etchant-type acids can't eat through plastic. So whatever's not under the toner goes away and you're left with the copper pattern you want. The link I gave also has a recipe for home-made etchant that works within five or ten minutes and is made from hardware-store muriatic acid and drugstore hydrogen peroxide. I hated waiting (and paying) for mail- order stuff. So the way I did it I could get everything locally, almost anywhere, except for the PCB blanks and the tiny solid-carbide drill bits, which I just bought en masse. Toner transfer also worked extremely well for putting "silkscreen" artwork onto the fibreglass side.

Reply to
Tom Gootee

E. German

time I checked

used Letra-Set on

transmitter in '66.

lifting

was.

(scratched).

discontinued here

that

my regen

liking

or so, but a

"woodtone", or

faux

modern

breakfasts I

but

everything

car

interior

I got turned off Audis when they had severe cam shaft bearing problems. They didn't sell the bearings so one had to buy halfa engine. It was a pretty popular problem in the early '80s.

They're tin cans on wheels. Crap. I liked all four of my Chryslers when they were new but none of them made it past 100K, a couple not even close.

Reply to
krw