biasing 74HC14 input to 1/2 VCC for small signals

You pretty much have it, except the timing is a little different so that no overlap charge loses occur.

...Jim Thompson

That's what I figured. Femtofarads and total liberty in device geometries , something us board level designers can't do. But we have to mind lurkers who see this and don't realize it was for a chip design where Id is under designer control.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

Sequence of events:

Close SW2 Close SW3 Open SW3 Open SW2 Close SW1 Observe "OUT" Open SW1 | Repeat

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

True, all 'AC were not created equal--mine was a preproduction sample. Several parts burned themselves up. I notified the vendor--Fairchild, I think--and the production parts seemed better.

Too late though--I'd already designed in an 'HC part instead.

It was for a single-stage x7 frequency multiplier, the first such AFAIK, and it saved the company. I see Paul Burridge talking about the fine points in sed circa 2004, so I s'pose now it's common knowledge.

But back to yours, your 'AC00 is driven continuously with a pretty large signal. It doesn't spend much time being linear, so it wouldn't get as hot.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Agreed. A proper comparator is the way to go. I recall I considered to use an HC14 as a comparator but after digging up some specs from different manufacturors it appeared the hysteresis isn't well defined.

Electronic parts are like people: it is very odd to find a typical (conforming to normal) one.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel