biasing 74HC14 input to 1/2 VCC for small signals

I'm reviewing a design that is using a 74HC14 schmitt trigger with the input biased to 1.2 VCC and a small signal AC coupled in. the AC signal is about

400mVp-p.

VCC VCC | | R | Signal----||---+--- Schmitt trigger ---> digital out C R | | GND GND

Since it is a schmitt trigger it has ~ 50mV of hysteresis but is there cause for concern by leaving the input biased in the middle like that?

Reply to
mook johnson

oops....Make that 1/2 VCC not 1.2.

Reply to
mook johnson

put

bout

use

The current it draws might be high in that mode. In volume, the trip point will move around, so your resistor scheme might not be centered. Probably there is a tempco issue with the trip point.

I'm not a fan of hammering with a screw driver, but your mileage may vary.

I've dealt with system designers that take your datasheet and black out anything that is a typical, then they do their design.

Reply to
miso

I'm currently using an inverter (single-stage, no hysteresis) as an analog comparator, offset-zeroed _every_ measurement cycle... works great ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The gate will draw significant quiescent current, a mA or so, if that's a concern. And a big pulse will take out the gate--no current limiting. Otherwise, it's fine.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

The way to do it....

                    VCC                       |                         | Signal----||---+-----74HCU04---+-- digital out           C    |         | |                |        GND | | |               +-----R---------+

Add more inverters after to square up if needed, though 400mV P-P is pretty robust.

...Jim Thompson

This is more fun...

| +---------|-----------+

John

According to

, the max. input current of a 74HC14 is +- 10 uA, regardless of the voltage. It's a SCHMITT TRIGGER for heaven's sakes! It's DESIGNED to let the input go anywyere! The people who tell you your "bias" voltage will cause abnormal currents have no idea what they're talking about.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It won't cause extra *input* current, it causes extra Idd.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Oscillator!!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Yep. Ground the signal input and you can get an output anyway ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hey, and a few years ago you told me not to do that ...

Anyhow, keep VCC well below rated because these things can draw an enormous cross current in this mode. If things don't have to be fast I use CD4000 logic at just a few volts. Stays nice and cool. A 74HC at 5V might get quite toasty.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Ahm, a Schmitt usually has a "non-Schmitted" first device pair and that does draw cross current. Not a lot but on a battery operated design this current can be painful. There is a Philips/NXP family spec sheet about that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Not terribly toasty if 74HCxxx, but 74ACxx biased like that will burn your finger.

I killed a few early 'AC parts that way--they can pull something close to 100mA. I wondered where that 85mA was going in my 2mA ckt. Then I put my finger on the answer.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

It's an HC_U_, note the "U", it'll draw only a few mA. A plain 74HC04 will sing like Blago when the US Attorney finally grabs him by the balls ;-)

...Jim Thompson

T'is why I invested around ten bucks into a Harborfreight IR sensing thermometer. It'll pay itself by having to use less burn gel.

I've seen HCU's draw more than a few mA. Not that smoke comes out, of course, but in batt-gear you can't have that. And not in med-gear.

I really like the CD4007UBE but the TSSOP version is out of stock a lot. Not a good sign. I wish such a panacea chip came out for all logic families. But I guess most young lads wouldn't know what to do with it anymore and the market has shriveled up.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well I have a board I built in the late 80's in front of me now with a MC74AC00N with one gate used as an inverting amplifier with a 47K feedback resistor and a 1nF input coupling capacitor which I used to recover the crappy 4 MHz base drive clock signal (a bit over half a volt peak to peak) from the Sinclair ZX Spectrum ULA and eventually derive a TTL level clock for interfacing various Z80 peripherals. The other gates were used normally. It never ran more than mildly warm and I wouldn't have cooked up such a wild scheme if I hadn't seen some prior art and reckoned it would work within my propagation delay budget. Presumably not all 'AC was created equal.

Reply to
IanM

you suggest to replace the edge detector with an oscillator ?

that's not going to work well for some sorts of signal.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I've seen it used as input from VR speed/crank sensors. One gate running as an RC oscillator and lowpass filtered used to set the bias via resistors to the other inputs. So the bias was always centered in the trip point window (assuming gates in a package track) A resistor on each gate input limited current for high input voltages, so it worked from a few to a few hundred volts

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Works well for sine waves, and other shapes as well, _if_ ~50% duty cycle.

...Jim Thompson