Best books for people changing fields?

But they wrote that before anybody invented the Internet.

Yup. I'm trying to pass on the high-end stuff to the kids who will eventually own my company (and mail me checks now and then?)

But I think too many people don't understand the basics of electronics, starting with physics, electrostatics, stuff like that. The challenge is to write the preface volume to AoE, a starting place for laymen and history majors, something that's clear and intuitive. And the real challenge will be to slip a little math in.

John

[snip]

I'm not sure I really have anything to offer. All I do is strenuously adhere to the fundamental skills of engineering... which most students seem to promptly forget upon graduation.

Judging from all the asininity posted here about climate change, I think they promptly forget all their history education (if they had any) as well :-(

Much of my design work cannot be divulged since it is proprietary to the customer.

Yet I would be more than happy to have people drop by and look over my shoulder (*) and see that it is simple designs that consistently work.

(*) No pencil and paper or cameras or tape recorders ;-)

...Jim Thompson

        Liberals are so cute.  Stupid as bricks, but cute.

I think i would really enjoy that visit. Perhaps some day.

Reply to
JosephKK

"Jim Thompson" wrote

These days thanks to the ever ongoing progress in electro-optics cameras and recorders can be so small that you will hardly notice (or even not at all more likely!).

Reply to
Charles Manoras

jeene ke hai chaar din oo o o oo baaki hai baekar din. jaye jaye jaye jaye jaye ek baar jo jaaye jawani fir naa aaye ho hoho jawani fir naa aye jawani rajatrajaji

Reply to
chimpu

This probably too late to be of use for Dr. Hobbs list, but it might be worth taking a look at "Essentials of RF and Microwave Grounding", Eric Holzman, Artech. It was suggested to me by a friend who's very knowledgable about RF stuff. I thought it looked pretty good, but I'm still learning what's what in terms of grounding and shielding. I just checked out the Morrison book from my university library and am currently working my way through it.

Bob Pownall

Reply to
Bob Pownall

Dennis Derickson (ed). Fiber Optic Test and Measurement

Is a great reference for understanding how your fiber optic measurement equipment actually works and putting it all to the best use.

cheers

David

Reply to
DM

ts

on

s,

,
1 & 2.

its

90)

es

tation

Phil, A book I've only recently been introduced to is, Instruments and Experiences: Papers on Measurement and Instrument Design, by R.V. Jones. I would put this under instrument design, though there is a bunch of optics also.

I think you might like this book because it, like your text, has a heavy dose of lore.

George Herold

Reply to
George Herold

George,

Thanks, I'll have a look at it. I'm in the very depths of my last runthrough before mailing the MS off early next week, but I can put it in at the galley stage if it looks good.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs