Beginner's question on RS232

maybe a stupid question.

I know rs232 data flow normally consists of 1 Start bit, 8 Data bits, 1 Stop Bits and 1 Check bits for a Byte data.

Can someone tell me whether this Start Bit is high or low, and stop bit? If this depends on the hardware implementation, then please give me the answer under the condition of using PC and windows.

Thanks

Steven

Reply to
Steven P

The idle status of the RS232 is logic high. The start bit is logic low, and the stop bit is logic high. The LSB is transmitted first. The logic high status corresponds to a negative voltage in the RS232 line.

You can find a parity bit just before the stop bit, but it's the first time I hear about the check bit.

--
Regards
Miguel Giménez

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. :-)

But I've set followups to sci.electronics.basics, since this is a basics question.

Maybe some of these links could be helpful:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

thanks Miguel and Rich.

Of course it is parity bit not the check bit, and it is before the stop bit. I just typed too fast.

Steven

Reply to
Steven P