taking privacy seriously

>>Here's a humorous (but true, unfortunately) example of bad human >>factors design... I was taking a call on my Treo 600 in a public area >>of my workplace. The person on the other end of the conversation >>started saying something private that I wanted to make sure no one >>overheard so I pressed the phone harder to my ear to block out the >>sound. That caused my cheek to press against the Treo's screen at the >>exact place where the "Speakerphone" on-screen button is located, with >>results about what you'd expect. > >Did she make you say out loud that you loved her... "Ima justa gonna >die" ?:-) > > ...Jim Thompson

I realize that the reply above was intended to be humorous, but it does bring up a beef I have with design... it seems privacy issues are usually at the bottom of the list or not even considered. In the example above, there could be serious consequences. Suppose I'm discussing a very private medical issue or arranging an interview with a different employer. If that hapenned to you, you probably wouldn't think it was so funny.

I've often brought up privacy issues and been miffed that the concerns are dismissed out of hand or the assumption is that anyone who is concerned about privacy must be doing something wrong. That is a very disturbing attitude.

Reply to
Larry

Well. Just do as I do... own an ancient Motorola StarTAC phone that just behaves ONLY as a phone ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

That wouldn't happen to me, because when I have a private matter to discuss on the telephone, I don't blabber it in the middle of a restaurant or movie theater.

And _especially_ if I'm calling about jobs, I don't do it on my current employer's equipment, within earshot! Whaddaya, a dunce?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Agreed. If privacy is an issue, do it in (drum roll.....) private.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

[snip]

How much longer do you suppose those older phones will be supported on the network?

I still keep an analog Motorola brick as a backup. In spite of the cellular companies' efforts to get everyone to trade up to digital phones (in order to comply with the requirement to pinpoint wireless 911 call locations), its the only phone I have that will reliably connect to a network, even out in the boondocks. Needless to say, its the only one that's worth a damn when attempting to place an emergency call.

Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

*Everybody* knows what it is about when someone says. "...Of course I am not f****ng happy ..." on the phone ;-).
Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

OP was using personal equipment. I take my privacy pretty seriously, very near to the point that will violate the "patriot act". I often insist on certain communication modes.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller