Batteries for school project

Hello, I have a question about batteries and thought someone here could help me. I have a school project that requires the use of batteries and have a choice between alkaline or heavy duty. I've read that alkaline batteries are supposed to be much better and last longer as well as operate better in cold temperatures (the project will be outside in the cold). Heavy Duty batteries are no where near as good as alkalines are they?

Reply to
gnvv111

they deffinatlyarent.Alkaline batteries last longer than heavy duty,they also have better power If you would use them in a flashlight it would be brighter than if you used heavy duty batteries.So i would say alkalines are 10 times better than heavy duty.

Reply to
Pvt.Radar

Howdy, One of the jr highschools every year come into my RS store and buy different types & sizes of batteries. They perform load test, duration test and cold tests. They have found that HD batteries are best buy in $ per amphr. But are not much good below -10 deg C. Alakalines last about

2-3 X longer depending on the brand and lose about 50% life at -30 deg C. Lithiums last about 8-12 X longer then HD's and lose about 10% life at -30 deg C. They found the load factor affect the life and usability of the battery at low temperatures. Insulating the battery has a big affect on the performance at low tempatures, expecially at higher loads.
Reply to
Ducky_Doug

You should maybe look at lithium batteries if that's possible (not sure if the choice has been made for you or not), as IIRC the temperature performance of these batteries is better and you can get more grunt per cubic inch. If the choice really is between those two types, then it will depend on how much current you need to supply, but I'd be betting that Duracells or equivalents will go better at the lower temp's. But again, how low is 'low'?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor