Batteries

Do batteries get heavier as they're charged?

Reply to
ian field

e=m*c*c, so in theory, yes. I doubt if you can measure it.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

not measurably. but they must, E=mc^2.

non-sealed lead-acid batteries actually get lighter :)

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Any idea what the theoretical math formula looks like! (or is that it?!).

Reply to
ian field

That's it. The Gospel According to St. Albert (Einstein), which says that energy is equivalent to mass. If you add energy to anything, it therefore is effectively gaining mass - but if you work that formula out with some actual numbers (and that "c * c" bit is a Really Big Number), it winds up taking a LOT of energy to equal just a little teeny- tiny mass. Hence, you are not very likely to be able to measure the change - we're probably talking (off the top of my head here) micrograms, if that.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Would that be due to gassing?

Reply to
ian field

yeah.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

When charging a battery, you are only transferring electrons from one side the other. Even if you were able to add electrons to the battery, considering their extremely small mass, I would doubt you could even weight a number of megawatts.

--

JANA
_____