DCF77

Is there someone that is using radio clock circuits ? I have an AM receiver end an antenna that should receive the Franckfurt radio sugnal, but i do not receive anything, even moving the antenna in every direction, with an oscilloscope waiting in vain for a signal. If I have well understood, there should be a signal (1 or 0)every second. (Italy, Genova)

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo

I'd test the receiver with a 77.5 kHz signal from a signal generator. If you haven't got one, you could build a suitable oscillator.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

To actually hear it, you 'll have to listen to it as if it were a morse code or USB signal. It's a very narrowband signal where they modulate the phase and amplitude of this signal at a very slow rate. Even then it' will just be a tone that jumps in signal strength once a second. (Well, at least that's what WWVB in the US sounds like).

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Do you mean I must transmit 77.5Khz with a transmitter ? Anyway, the receiver should be ok; it is a standard circuit sold fro this puprose.

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo

No, I said a signal generator or a suitable oscillator. Something to provide a stable low-power 77.5 kHz signal.

It's much easier to test this type of thing if you can generate the input signal locally. You obviously have some sort of problem with it.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Hi Enzo, For bella Italia you may also consider Swiss Timing. see

The transmitter sends to DCF77 compatible code at 75kHz.

Reply to
nyffeler

I do not have experience in radio circuits, so i have an antenna for 77.5 KHz, (and a Am receiver) what should i do for receiveing signals from Switzerland ?

Reply to
Enzo

But my problem is that I do not have any signal at the output of the AM receiver. The circuit is a standard circuit that should work. It is composed af an antenna for 77.5KHz and an integrated receiver, with

0/5v output. May be my geografical position is not good for that signal.

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo

..

I get a more or less usable DCF77 signal in Scotland.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

The DCF77 receivers often have a crystal filter for selectivity, so retuning will be impossible in that case. The crystal has the same shape as a watch crystal, a cylinder of 2mm diameter and about 10 mm long.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

If it is the IC I think it is - it has an open collector output. You do use a pull-up resistor, don't you?

Regards,

Iwo

Reply to
Iwo Mergler