Another Question about "acid-free" batteries and scooter

Hi all:

First, I want to personally thank everyone who responded to my questions concerning the batteries in my scooter. Since buying the "machine," I have had nothing but problems with the batteries and I joined this group -- thinking that, for once, I might be able to get to the bottom of the problem -- as well as being interested in electronics.

Today, because I knew that I needed a stronger charger for my batteries (charging voltage with the following information: standby use --

13.5-13.8V; Cycle Use -- 14.0-15.0V; Initial Current -- 3.0A Max), my wife brought home a "Ship 'n Shore, 12 AMP battery charger/maintainer. It has an output of 12 AMP at 12 VDC. There is a "three stage charging system with "float-mode monitoring. There is a switch on the front panel that has three choices: Automatic (for conventional and low maintenance batteries); Automatic (for maintenance free batteries; and finally the "manual" mode.

What would happen if I attempted to use this charger on the acid-free batteries I mentioned above (and introduced to the group yesterday)? I am NOT going to try using this charger until I hear something to the "positive" with respect to the use of this charger.

PLEASE feel free to e-mail me directly at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com; it is sometimes very difficult for me to sit for a while, and, on top of that, I live in an obsure area where access to the Internet is limited to phone lines. There is no cable here -- and to think about getting the Internet access with a dish is simply out of the question due to the expense they ask for initial hook-up, which ranges around $1,000.00

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
mea305

Well, first, of course, read the instruction manual.

From what you said, it sounds perfect. And, of course, take into consideration - what do you have to lose? ;-)

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but this is USENET - when you ask a question here, it's expected that you come back here to glean your answers. There's no need to fear that responses will be lost - your server stores them for some time.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

[...]

My my, that's a big one! The charger is sporting all the good words. Looks like it is made for charging bigger capacity batteries though, raising the obvious question as to whether it will charge your batteries a bit 'too' fast. As always in life, a lot of ifs and buts could be raised but at days end I'd personally be minded to say to hell with it, stick the batteries on and see what happens. As an initial confidence test, the thing to watch for is that the battery casings don't get 'hot' during the charging process as this implies overcharging. After an hour look for a casing temperature that just feels a little 'warm'. If the "I'm now fully charged up" time takes more than a couple of hours then you should be on a winner.

(I'm replying 'in group', as others with more experience in this area can easily tag on relevant info and asides, or maybe just remind me I'm talking out of my arse :). We all gain a bit this way. john

Reply to
John Jardine.