Balance of Trade Improvement ??

And is just about the most ugly SUVs in existance. That a maker of sleek streamlined fast cars like Porche could produce such an abomination is tragic. BMW do a brutish SUV too but not quite so ugly. And in the UK the closest any of them ever come to off road use is mounting the raised kerb outside an urban primary school.

A tax on sales of the insanely fuel inefficient cars might be more effective. But pressure on the manufacturers to make vehicles smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient on average has to be a good thing.

The rise of the invincible mom cossetted in her urban assault vehicle with no idea where any of the corners are has become something of a joke in the UK. Our minor roads are narrow, twisty and unforgiving.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

women

I think you have hit upon an important factor in popultion growth. In the documentary "Crude Impact" it stated (paraphrased) "for every 3 years of education a woman recieves the family population is reduced by 1". An example was made for Iran where population growth is fairly stagnant

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Do you think we could get the illegal immigrants to bring their own food?

Reply to
mpm

Again, American technology triumphs. The Cadillac Escalade is easily the ugliest SUV on the planet, and a number of Dodge products are close behind.

Yes, I was surprised to see the BMW SUV. It's a dog.

A fat tax on all gas would be sensible, especially in the US where fuel taxes are low. Let the rich people drive whatever they want, as long as they pay.

Yes, I noticed.

John

I didn't "hit on it". It has been a cliche in population discussions for some years now. Jim should have known about it, but there are a lot of things that Jim ought to know about, and doesn't.

Their war with Irak made a significant dent in their stock of fertile males.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

My company sponsors four girls in a school in Africa, on the theory that educating women is the best way, per dollar, to help the world. I'm looking into something like that in Haiti, too.

John

Pay them not to have babies. ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

:

Then they would have no incentive to pick ours.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Now, now, I didn't say I in any way supported that import either!

Reply to
PeterD

That's a gross exaggeration... and a position I did not take. You claim we are grossly overpopulated. By what definition? And where's the data?

Perhaps the USA is not producing enough to feed the nation--but IF that is true, its not because we lack the ability/resources. Your last statement.. can you back it up with any data? I am sure that some portion of the population's quality of lfe is in a decline. But, to make such a broad statement seems unsupported and disingenuous.

indicates by 2050 our poulation will be 42 people per sq. km. Japan's is CURRENTLY 338 persons/sq. km. So I guess your definition of overpopulated has nothing to do with population density? So I think we're OK for the foreseeable future. Unless we keep our southern border porous. But that's another subject...

Which 'these people'? Most folks I know own or are making payments on their own land/houses.

Seems that the difference in our views can be summarized by saying, I have faith in and that the people of the USA have the ability and resources to sustain themselves as a whole, whereas you do not. I wonder which countries you think are not overpopulated? and what your definition of overpopulated is?

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Not by world standards.

Sure, but we export more, roughly $80 billion, and the trend seems to be towards more exports.

Wherever you live (next to a coal mine?), you should consider moving. In most of the US, air quality has improved greatly in the last few decades.

John

And because we like brie, and grapes in February, and Swiss chocolate.

We export a lot more.

John

Certainly that is so. I was involved with automotive pollution control devices in the '60's. Air quality was FAR worse than it is today. Now I can look to the SE and see the mountains near Tucson... almost 100 miles away.

...Jim Thompson

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message >

Did you feel at the time that it was unreasonable for the government to be mandating pollution controls? That perhaps just the "market" would sort things out -- consumers would demand cleaner-running cars once air pollution became bad enough?

I'm just curious what your stance is on how society ought to decide what reasonable standards for pollution (or, almost equivalently, fuel efficiency) ought to be. Do you support Bush's approval yesterday or legislation to require average fuel economy to increase to 30MPG by 2010?

By the way, the TCP/IP kid is certainly cute! Congratulations...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yes.

Not then, but I think the public is more attuned to "clean" now.

I'm for pollution standards.

I'm against the government, the dumbest bunch of people on the planet, deciding HOW it should be done.

No. It's quite foolish. Most of the people will end up driving light weight cars that are unsafe. Of course I'll still be driving my tank. Want to collide ?:-)

It would be better to tax gasoline, then let the marketplace find alternative fuels.

Thanks !-)

...Jim Thompson

Are you implying that Jim only supports government mandates when he is the vendor?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Nah -- I think most of us have had jobs where we didn't necessarily support the impetus that created it in the first place but either still found it an intriguing problem to solve or else just needed the pay to pay our rents at the time. Since Jim is a rather staunch conservative, I was more curious as to how far he'd go to let market forces alone regulate standards -- I think he's still in the ballpark of sane since he accepts that the free market alone isn't always the best regulator. :-)

I'd personally like to tax developers who build apartments with no insulation in the attics, which you can legally do here in Oregon. In my book it's unreasonable to skip such a relatively small cost such as that when you know the renters are going to have to pay it for *many* times over in increased heating bills.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I mistyped... should be NO!

...Jim Thompson

That happened to me in California in 1968... rented a house, only to find it had NO insulation :-(

...Jim Thompson

OK. Would you go so far as to say the air would be as clean today as it is if government hadn't stepped in back in the '60s? That seems pretty unlikely to me.

Yeah, perennial problem though -- by definition the government is the only group that can compel auto-makers to meet emission requirements, but almost by definition government's actions always have a high degree of politics mixed in with any decent scientific reporting.

Mmm... no. The comparison isn't entirely black and white, though: Yes, more people will likely be killed in collisions between larger vehicles and lighter ones, but how many people are saved due to less pollution kicking about? The former is easy to measure while the later is pretty much impossible...

At times I have difficulty not just thinking, "You know, how about if we just halve the population and now everyone gets to drive a car that's half as fuel efficient and pollution still remains the same?"

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner