Automatic line voltage switch?

On a sunny day (Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:48:30 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

Only if you survive them. What does not kill you makes you stronger????

Saying goes: 'Time is a good teacher, but it has this tendency to kill its students'.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com schrieb:

Hello,

it will be only a dream that the same plug fits into any outlet world wide. There are too many very different versions.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

"Uwe Hercksen"

** IEC lead sets are now almost universal - the product only needs an IEC inlet.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com schrieb:

Hello,

if it really should work world wide, it should work with 90 to 250 VAC. Some reserve for undervoltage and overvoltage. There are still some nets with 240 V.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:41:08 +0100) it happened Uwe Hercksen wrote in :

For 10 Euro or less I bought an universal plug stack that fits nearly the whole world.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yahbut it's disappearing off the new notebook bricks.. It would have been nice if they could have come up with something that would pass all the regulatory approvals and was 1/2 the thickness. Nice thin Dell 'brick'.. fat ugly socket, and fatter ugglier plug..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Because in areas with a rocky power grid, it is.

How is that going to run on 240V sans transformer?

Pull-in and drop-off voltages for relays vary a lot and can also be temperature dependent. I'd be careful in areas where 240V browns out a lot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Careful, this list isn't quite up to snuff. In Australia you can regularly have 260V, sometimes even 270V, all night long .... phssss ...

*POOF*

I once had to redesign something where the guy before me thought "This is the standard, so the grid has to adhere to that". Well, the grid didn't ...

Problem with motors is that if they are torqued out close to the limit they really do not like an undervoltage.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That could cause a nasty surge current if 230V is applied because it takes time for the relay to react. Better to have the default at 230V and switch to 115 when getting down there.

You only need to switch one tap if it's an auto-transformer like James was thinking about.

There is another way and it's lighter in weight: Rectify 115V, hang a PWM converter plus full-bridge behind that and make 230VAC. That way you could even select another frequency if desired.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Where was that? Western Australia I suppose, which had a Nominal of 250 and hence an upper limit of 269 until about 20 years ago. I think you will find Australia generaly has a more stable grid than most. Most of the east is connect together and the West is too far away. We do not have much in the way of snow or blizzards in populated areas.

--
John G
Reply to

That was in the north-western part of Sydney, between 257V and 260V. Higher at night. But this was (for the power supply part) a new design. The phssst ... BANG ... episodes happened in 120V territory where in some rural areas things can get nasty.

Even here where here in California the voltage in our area used to be up to 127V with some spikes up from there, until I complained. The utility first wanted to brush it off but when I told them that I had logs in front of me they came out pronto and fixed it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Its a pump. With a motor. What will you do about the 50/60 Hz issue?

How about a switching power supply/inverter? I volume, it could be cheaper then the step up transformer.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

The nominal in the East, Sydney etc used to be 240 +6% ie 254. now it should be 230 but a lot have not been changed and it is consistantly over 240 here in western Sydney.

--
John G
Reply to

This table lists the high limit in NSW at 264V but I have heard that it's exceeded and also that the "notification for adjustment" at 253V is often ignored:

Seems like that 20-year plan to adjust to 230V has pretty much fizzled. Out here our supply has stabilized quite well at 121-122V but it used to be higher. And then the utility guys wondered what can be done to curb the massive peaks on hot summer days. I always shook my head because part of the solution was right under their noses ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:22:36 -0500, Spehro Pefhany <

About 15mm thick (0.6") x 20mm x 30mm for the 'brick'.. the plug and cord look ridiculously oversize (and the cord doubles back to make things even less good). The only thing worse would be one of those enormous Brit etc. plugs on the other end.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yes, you could get that surge, but only briefly, likely < 1/2 cycle. Both the xformer & the pump should be able to handle it with no problem. The relay will break the NC connection early in its transition. A 240VAC relay coil across Vin is just easier.

Still, your point is correct. As usual. :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

--
They're out there, but if you want to roll your own, for cheap, you
can use an autotransformer; like this: (View in Courier)

                             +---------+
                             |         |
                             O  NC     |
120/240>--+----------+--O-->  \
Reply to
John Fields

and a

tic

The "Voltage monitor relays" all seem to have hysteresis, so that's covered.

I did find a number of "single phase to single phase" AC motor drives-- basically VFDs for small single-phase motors--and I'm looking into those a bit more today (yesterday was crazy).

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yep, I see Tyco underscores that in their spec sheet. PTCs are also slow--28s(max) @10A to trip a 2A rated device.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

If their prices are somewhat civilized then that may be the way to go.

However, finding one that covers 100-260VAC input or something like that isn't easy. Beats me why because I design wide-range stuff in the lower voltages all the time and don't find it particularly difficult.