Atmospheric River Rolling Into SoCal- Population Flees!

"Some of the areas could see 6 inches of rainfall over 36 hours That's six to eight months of rainfall in 36 hours, right over what would be a significant Thomas Fire burn scar region,"

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Where I grew up, six inches in 36 hours is a light drizzle.

Climate change seems to mostly consist of boogering data and renaming things. Winter storms are now Atmospheric Rivers or Polar Vortexes or Snow Bombs. "Extreme Weather Vocabulary."

We have big fires now because we keep putting out the small fires.

The snow situation looks great; we'll be skiing well into summer again.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

"The Hell in a Cell! The most brutal match The Rock has ever been in. Call it Hell in a Cell, call it Rage in a Cage, call it Painus in Uranus..."

It's not scientists who rename things, btw, it's people who make shows like the WWE and call it "network news"

Reply to
bitrex

Check the references.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

WV wasn't quite that wet, but we did average >100" of annual rainfall.

Now, 6"-8" is our TOTAL ANNUAL rainfall ;-)

[snip] ...Jim Thompson
 Click to see the full signature

Looks like it's melting. And what kind of skis are you using, looks like they should be all terrain.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It's a vortex. at the poles. What did they call it when it was known to science in 1853?

I don't think "river in the sky" or "snow bomb" are terms you'll find in academic literature. Maybe they are via back-adoption but I'm making what I feel is a solid guess here and say "Snow Bomb" is a media-derived term. It fits good on a tabloid-format newspaper in big font

Reply to
bitrex

Blame the messenger? Perhaps everything in nature that doesn't follow a "normal" pattern is now man's fault? That seems to be the trend now with "world weather attribution", a new climate science dedicated to proving the human activities are the root of all thing evil and detrimental to maintaining the climate status quo.

"Scientists Can Now Quickly Link Extreme Weather Events To Climate Change (HBO)" (3:11)

"The Stormy Month of January 2018 over Western Europe" and how man is responsible for the storm and its severity. How's this for an ambiguous conclusion? By analyzing a number of climate simulations, we conclude that human-induced climate change has had so far no significant influence on storms like the two studied. However, all simulations indicate that global warming could lead to a marginal increase (0-20%) of the probability of extreme hourly winds until the middle of the century. So, the data shows there's no connection, but that author(S) throw in a contrary conclusion based on unspecified simulations from unspecified sources. Brilliant.

Most of California has been having a rather severe drought this year, with less than 20% of normal rainfall in my area. Predictably, this drought is allegedly caused by human activities. Suddenly, much of Southern California is expected to wash away in the upcoming torrential rains, which also are expected to be blamed on human activities. Pick one, only one.

The sky is falling. Where do I obtain some gopher wood?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Who cares what "climate skeptics" think about anything? They'll be skeptical right up until the day the last tree is felled and the last drop of oil is burned.

There is pretty much zero point in spending any effort trying to sell the "It's nonsense prove me wrong"-crowd. There is no amount of evidence, of any type, from any source, which would be deemed acceptable, and they'll usually tell you that flat-out.

The effort that goes into feeding that crew narcissistic supply via debate is probably better spent elsewhere.

Reply to
bitrex

And that's pretty much what I figure it's about. "I don't believe stuff. I'm a skeptic. I'm cool. I'm different. pay attention to me."

Reply to
bitrex

I'm not sure climate change is to blame. I'd guess the weather channel. Weather is now entertainment, so fancy names are better than 'another cold front'.

Well I went to take the dogs for a walk this weekend, the snow was so deep I had to put the snow shoes on. At which point I said wtf and grabbed my plastic sled, and packed down the sledding run.

It's still day light when I get home these days, and the run is iced up now.... Wheeeee!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yuze guys are confusing weather with climate. Don't be distracted by clickbait weather forecasts. Look at the long term. Ocean temperatures are rising. Is that a good thing? In most cases, no. Will it affect me? In most cases, yes.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Nor'easter, or maybe "cold weather."

Check the references.

 Click to see the full signature

I like "pineapple express". ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

We have the Alberta Clipper. I kind of like the thought of a three-masted ship sailing across the sands.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

I see lots of noise, wet years and dry years, but no obvious trend.

The good thing about this graph is that, unlike ocean temps, it is unadjusted. The data was taken the same way, in the same place, since the start.

This is reconstructed from proxy measurements:

 Click to see the full signature

The rainfall here averages about 20". We get our water from the Sierra snowpack; the summit gets 80 feet of snow in a good year.

There would be plenty of water here if not for inappropriate agriculture, like rice and cotton and almonds. Residences use about 7% of the water supply, most of that for lawns and pools. The "perpetual California drought" is manmade and largely illusion.

 Click to see the full signature

"It's called an 'atmospheric river' -- basically a river in the sky."

"It's called a 'dust devil' -- basically a demon of the underworld which appears in the form of dust."

Reply to
bitrex

Well, it was the 4th of July.

I have some K2's that are fully symmetric; they go forwards or backwards equally well; great for spinning. They are a bit delaminated, but K2's do that.

 Click to see the full signature

It was kind of packed and icy at Sugar Bowl last trip, which made skiing fast and effortless. Marcus and I did top-to-bottom Mt Lincoln six times in a row nonstop, which is cool since I'm 30 years older than he is.

 Click to see the full signature