Oklahoma City Sonic Boom Tests

I never knew about these. The wiki article is actually pretty funny.

"the NORC reported that 73% of subjects in the study said that they could live indefinitely with eight sonic booms per day, while 25% said that they couldn't. About 3% of the population telephoned, sued, or wrote protest letters"

I think the juxtaposition of the survey results and the other means of displaying dissatisfaction is interesting... The results of our toothpaste survey showed 73% like our new, minty flavor, 25% were not favorably impressed and 3% had to get dentures.

--

Rick
Reply to

Understandable if they were breaking as many windows in the city per day as that article seems to imply.

Back in the day when it was unusual people would flock to see jet speed trials that might go supersonic usually at seaside locations in the UK. Some airshows they would deliberately do it or be borderline.

It doesn't say much about the airshows in the Wiki history or online but the Lightning had the distinction of being able to catch a Concorde.

We get the odd supersonic boom where I live from time to time usually when they go off to intercept one of Putin's bombers trying it on with UK air defences. RAF Fylingdales aka BMEWS site 3 isn't that far away.

They are usually well out over the North Sea and high before they go supersonic but sometimes the boom touches the ground behind them. This one practising for the Olympics in 2012 wasn't and was a lot louder.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

Londoners lived through the Blitz, but "73% of subjects in the study said that they could live indefinitely with eight sonic booms per day, while 25% said that they couldn't."

What would that 25% do, commit suicide? Move to Brazil?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com