ASIC costs

In article , Joerg wrote: [...]

I've had to figure out the circuit from something with removed numbers. It took me about an hour. BTW: I was repairing something.

The fun thing about the ASCI is that they have to run signals in and look at the output. If things are a non-linear function of the past, figuring out what a circuit does can be tricky. Think about characterizing an AGC system. It is a lot harder than a simple filter.

The problem with the FPGA idea is that the boot up stuff is not stored right in the chip so it is very insecure. I don't know of a normal DSP that doesn't also have this problem. A DSPic may be the answer for some of the circuit.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Ken Smith wrote: >

Xilinx has addressed the security issue in some of their parts by providing a small area of battery-backed write-only RAM where decryption keys are stored before the product is shipped. At each boot, the bitstream is downloaded in encrypted form and decrypted by a built-in decryption engine in the chip.

Marmot Engineering . . . . . . .  VHDL, ASICs, FPGAs, embedded systems
Vancouver, BC, Canada  . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.marmot-eng.com
Reply to
Tim Hubberstey