Arrow Electronics

--
How about not even getting on the plane?
Reply to
John Fields

That's for sure... the airplane restroom size is VERY position-limiting ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I don\'t think spreading your massive ass cheeks was what he had in
mind.
Reply to
John Fields

There is a nice weblink

that gets around idiots like that. Type in all/part of the P/N and it brings up stock info for about 10 different distis, some of which will even talk to you without an account. You might want to mention this to the part manufacturer as well. After all, why fo they pay the distis a commision anyway. Half the time they ship from the manufacturer direct and carry not stock.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Brooks

Thanks!

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK\'s only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

They might have got a directive from Homeland Security to be on the lookout for kids who are making bombs. ;-)

"What do you need them for?" "To set off my pipe bomb" "And what was your phone number again?" ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The HVAC groups would eat him for breakfast. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

thanks for that info Don, I wont waste any time on them then. Actually I did try talking to Avnet in Phoenix a couple months ago. all I can say about that is oy!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Ames

Dream on. They're a bunch of wankers. I have actual experience.

--
.
Reply to

.
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

With wanking? Tell us more.

John

I bow to your great experience with that.

--
.
Reply to

I used to have to spec parts from "Hamilton Have-Not"....

Salesdroid: "Oh yes, we have 128 of those in stock." Moi: "Great; I'll be over to pick up 30..." Salesdroid: "They're not here...they're in Dallas.." Moi: "No problem; ship 30 here & I'll come pick them up - Tuesday?" Salesdroid: "Err....."

By the time I left that assignment; even the procurement folks were using my version of their name...

& no one will talk to a host that\'s close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
Unless the host (that isn\'t close).........................pob 1433
David Lesher

"My flashlight-laser, of course..."

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

I remember the good old days (81-3) when distributors really distibuted things. There was one small disty (Kierrulf, I think) who shared our parking lot. And they had a will-call window. And we had an engineering account. Typical response time: get the Chief Engineer's secretary (the account was in his and her names) to call to confirm availablilty and place the order, then walk across the parking lot and pick up the parts.

And on the other side, there was a little beer, pool and burger joint where I got lunch several times a week for under $5: Little Red special w/ cheese (1/4 lb burger with fries), plate of nachos and pitcher of beer (the nachos and beer split with a coworker). We went there so often that the waitress would just point at us, we would nod, and the pitcher and nachos would be right up.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Oh, the good ol' days! I once had an AMP rep hand me a $250.00 or so crimper, just because he had it. Another time, I was teching at a place where they were using bleeding- edge ADCs and DACs, and there was a Burr-Brown rep there, and he handed me a couple of 12-bit ADCs, at a time when new ones were about $25.

And you could call reps and ask about a part, and they'd say, "Want some samples?" and they'd show up the next day by priority mail or FedEx.

Sigh.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Tuesday?"

I remember going to the IEEE show in NY in the late fifties. We were building an amplifier for 80 through 10 meters and was talking to the sales rep. for transmitting tubes. Next week I had an Eimac 4cx250 in the mail.

yup.. those were the days.

John

Reply to
John

Tuesday?"

Oh boy!

Sometime in the early 1990's I got samples of InGaAlP LEDs in red, the usual reddish shade of "orange LED orange", and amberish yellow from HP, 6 each. They asked me my application - LED bicycle lights.

It should have been obvious that chances were high that no more than one bicycle was being outfitted with these.

So I mentioned some of these fairly favorably in my website (to this day), bought 100 of them later on from Newark, and later still when they were Agilent or Avago parts I bought maybe 60 more from DigiKey.

Nowadays, now that Digikey stocks them, I suspect that for sample quantities of at least some of these get some from DigiKey. Back in the early 1990's, purchase of these through distributors often involved a minimum order of 500 pieces - and I suspect a lead time close to a week-plus for many of these via backordering unless you pick a specific part popular enough for a distributor to stock bags of 500 of them. I was not able to buy 10 back then - for less than 500 all I could do was get 6 free samples! (It appears to me that 6 is or was a traditional free sample quantity for electronic components of cost in production quantitiesin cents rather than dollars.)

I feel that the mid 1980's were the crest of electronic product and component manufacturing in the USA, and that "fairly good times" in USA for electronics was from the beginning of "The Golden Age of Radio" (close to 1920) to whatever was the last year that Intel made most of its processors in the USA (I think late 1990's). Even in mid-late 1980's electronic technicians often had to work for less than twice minimum wage, often less than 1.5 times minimum wage if there were benefits. (There were some notable exceptions of much better pay for technicians even then. Even in late 1980's top-5% of tech school graduates competed for those good jobs!) Hour count in workweeks for engineers in this area since upticked - I have heard a few horror stories. Those looking to get into engineering jobs in this area - please check out risks of not getting time-and-a-half for working over 40 hours a week, or even being paid a salary by a time unit of at least a week while there is lack of upper limit of hours per pay period that you need to work to stay in good standing!

Don Klipstein

If you ever get one of those jobs where you are being screwed, keep your own notebook to log actual times started and ended each day.

Apply for the overtime and keep any documentation that it was refused.

After you leave the job, apply to your local labor board for all of the overtime you didn't get.

Fun!

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I think that at least in current enforcement practice plenty of engineers are in a classification that managers are in as far as OT is concerned. There is such as thing as "FLSA exempt", which was originally supposed to be for managers and not many others maybe nobody except managers, and those got paid by the week rather than by the hour. It seems to me that "professionals" also got to be FLSA-exempt.

What about associate lawyers at big law firms paid by salary and expected to generate 2400-2500 billable hours per year?

This is in the USA that I am talking about...

Don Klipstein