Argentinian AC plugs vs. Australian?

The discussion of double insulation reminded me of a question posed to me, so I thought I would enquire here:

A friend, going to Argentina on business, asked what type of plug adapter she needs for her dual-voltage (120-240) appliances -- hair dryer, steam iron, and Mac laptop. She has a two-prong plug adapter for Australia.

Kropla.com says the Argentinian plugs are the same as Australia, except active and neutral are switched.

First, I thought only in North America do we have "active" (line) and neutral. What does active and neutral mean in Australia and/or Argentina?

Second, her appliances are all two pronged, but the have polarized plugs. The hair dryer has some sort of circuit breaker integral with the plug.

Is there any way she could use her Australia plug adaptor in Argentina without creating a shock hazard?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

"spamtrap1888"

** Same as anywhere else, the neutral conductor is bonded to earth at the supply panel.
** Active / neutral swapping is not of itself a shock hazard.

Having the switch in the neutral is unsafe, when other things go wrong.

Having an extension lead with neutral and earth swapped at one end is LETHAL with an outlet that has active and neutral swapped.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison