AC Plug Pack (wall wart) plugs - suggestions please

I have in mind a project that will use AC Plug Packs. For safety and legal reasons I can't change that, but I am troubled by the low voltage power plugs supplied. They are 2.1mm round plugs just like those on almost any DC plug Pack.

Time marches on plug packs get mixed in together and "hey this fits" and pzzzt... magic smoke happens to someones piece of kit.

are there suggestions for an alternative plug to use. Doesn't need to be polarized (of course), but something hot plug-able would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
david eather

im pretty sure there are no good options, but I,m just checking

Reply to
david eather

So, your "wall wart" delivers AC?

Can you put a bridge just inboard of the connector and cover the DC +, DC -, and AC cases?

[You're still at the mercy of wrong voltage rating...]
Reply to
Don Y

==================

** Though possible this rarely happens. You need to clearly label your AC pack with the name of the item it goes with and a warning that it be used with no other.

Try to make the item damage proof if used with a DC pak up to 12V.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

First suggestion: make sure the inlet port is clearly labeled, both polarity and voltage, DC or otherwise. Hope for curious folk to find the specification, and test for fit of the mechanical bits.

Less interesting: if you use an AC pack, in-the-device bridge or voltage-doubler rectification, then follow up with a switchmode supply, you can't get the wrong polarity, and maybe can tolerate the highest of the safe-low-voltage input possibilities. I've done this with 36-70VDC telecom power modules, it works (within limits, at a cost).

Reply to
whit3rd

I once spent 20 minutes on the phone to customer support for a device (a very important IEEE 802.3 to IEEE 1284 converter needed for payroll) because the power pack had gone missing, just while they were telling me that I had to have their genuide power pack, the screwless case came open in my hands to reveal a bridge rectifier, 100uF cap and an LM7805. I soon found a suitable power pack.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

One simple solution is run the kit at the highest commonish wart voltage, 3

0 or 32v. And always make your warts output ac so psu polarity doesn't matt er. Another is to add overvoltage protection. Another is to have the dc soc ket insde the appliance case. Another is to put the whole wart inside the a ppliance with just a mains connector user accessible. etc etc.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Use two connectors, one for each pole.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

The only vaguely common alternatives I've seen are round DIN plugs or

3.5 mm phone plugs. BITD modems ran off 24VAC warts with those same round connectors. A D-sub might work.

Alternatively, nearly all the warts I've seen use 2.1 or 2.5 mm centre pins, 5.5 mm outside. Maybe use an odd size, like this one?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sadly, I confess I have done it. An LED clock that used 5volts got it's own wake up call when I plugged 12 volts into it. I really needed the clock and I liked it too.

Yep, I was thinking that would be the best I could do.

Thanks

Reply to
david eather

I think they are used in Android devices.

Reply to
david eather

That will work.

Reply to
david eather

Thank you all. I think clear labels is the only practical and aesthetically acceptable solution. Sometimes you can't fully protect against stupid.

Reply to
david eather

While most manufacturers distribute wall warts that just bear "generic" labeling (Vin@Iin, Vou@Iout), you could actually tag the wall wart with a label indicating its PURPOSE: "Frajistat9000 Power Supply".

Of course, then you can't leverage a common part for multiple devices (and may require the wall wart vendor to label them for you)

I have systematically gone through EVERY wall wart, brick and "other" power adapter, here, and affixed labels declaring their intended mates. I find it makes it a lot easier to ensure the correct power adapter stays with its intended device (as power adapters seem to "congregate" and lose their distinguishing identities!)

[The ptouch labelers are great for this sort of thing]

I also label *devices* that seem to shy away from clearly identifying their make/model -- so I can later figure out which device mates to a particular wall wart (what good is labeling the wall wart if you can't identify the device??)

Ah, the "benefits" of having everything "Hecho en China"... :<

Reply to
Don Y

Is that a Polish joke? :)

-- Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Reply to
Michael_A_Terrell

one shared between 2 poles.

Reply to
Tabby

Sure, they're going to be used by somebody, or they wouldn't still be available. The key is to make the conjunction rare.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's why we standardized on +24V. AC won't kill our boxes because of the unidirectional TVS, series Schottky rectifier, and polyfuse. However, as you go lower in voltage, your box will draw more operating current, so it'll require that much more fault current to switch the polyfuse if somebody plugs in the wrong wart.

24V at least.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I gather you're retired. ;)

AFAICT the use of AC warts mostly went out with the 56kbaud modem, and for good reason. That approach requires gigundo wet Al filter caps and so on in order to be able to handle 50-60 Hz AC. What a waste.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We like 24 because it's unlikely that anybody has a higher voltage wart around, to plug in by mistake.

Of course, my new pulse generator ships with a 48v wart!