AoE x-Chapters, using power MOSFETs as linear transistors

"They offer superb sonic characteristics"

What can that mean?

Does Hitachi still make laterals? I couldn't find them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We used your real name, rather than piglet, would you prefer that moniker was included?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Whatever the Marketing people want it to. :-)

As far as I can tell, Hitachi/Renesas is no longer making laterals. These seem to have gone entirely out of the market supply-chain years ago.

I read one person's comment that suggested that laterals were a victim of one of the big Japanese earthquakes, some years ago (possibly the Miyagi quake of 2008 although I'm not certain). Several of the Japanese earthquakes in the last decade-and-change had a serious impact on semiconductor-manufacturing facilities, with production of many items being shut down.

Lateral MOSFETs may have been one type which wasn't in-demand enough to merit restarting (or rebuilding) the production lines after the rubble stopped bouncing around.

Reply to
Dave Platt

isn't many of the RF power fets lateral? like the MRF101BN , MRF300AN menti oned a few days ago

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm using some big mosfet as part of a 77k to 400K heater. The Fet's 'down the probe' with three to-220 pack R's. (The R's and supply voltage limit the power to a few watts.) An opamp up top closes the loop... I've added various C's to the loop to slow things down... At some point my design becomes, bang on various 'ports' and try to damp out the ringing.

(If no ringing, then maybe something can be faster?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Depending on where you add the C's, they may simply add poles, or lower pole frequencies, to destabilize the feedback loop.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Sweet! I don't really understand how it works.. :^)

Hey, mentioning 'great books' did you see this, (some computer conjecture proven)

Mind you, I'm mostly clueless... so I don't understand parts, which is part of being a pooh bear. :^)

Hey would you send me an email to; gherold.. at sign.... teachspin,com that comma should be a period.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Right, 1/2 the time I need more R in the loop.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

** Stick to posting about stuff you understand.

Cos you are making a total ass of yourself posting smartarse crap like this.

You are a pathetic wanker - Hobbs.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** I have about 100 N and P channel Hitachi TO3 mosfets.

Types 2SJ56 and 2SK176, 250V, 8A 125W.

Amplifiers that use them no longer come to me for service so they are up for sale.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

What's strange is that many mosfets will switch a lot faster - sometimes 20x faster - than the numbers on the data sheet.

lunatic fringe electronics

Thanks Win, real name is fine.

piglet / Erich Wagner

Reply to
piglet

Looks too mathesy for me, I will have to reread very slowly several times. Pooh has brain and wisdom, piglet is just always anxious.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

That's been so since 1982ish that I know about, and probably as long as they've existed. Probably to help the apps engineers escape the wrath of customers who couldn't reproduce the datasheet numbers. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

eBay.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I'm so relieved to have you protecting my reputation so zealously. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"That's the bravest kind of not blinching there is." --Pooh

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

** Try taking a look.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I expect the vast majority of readers will have zero interest in the interpersonal stuff of people they don't know, I'd skip it other than to mention it as Eric's circuit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

sound good if you smack em with a hammer

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr