DPAK resistor

This has a metal tab, like a DPAK transistor, but isolated.

I measure about 5 pF from both ends of the resistive element to the tab. Caddock says 2.3 pF, which is probably one end. It seems awfully fast.

It's rated for 25 watts, but I wonder how much it's good for mounted on a PCB. I can via the tab to the ground plane, and maybe to a patch of copper on the bottom of the board. Something like 6 watts would do for now, which is probably OK. It won't die from getting hot, so my concern is heating other parts and scorching the board.

Several other people make similar dpak resistors. I'll get some others and test them too.

lunatic fringe electronics

We use Caddock resistors. The fine print says it will do 2.5 watts with 1" squared of 2 oz copper on pcb.

George H.

We use Caddock resistors.

Reply to
George Herold

What's the capacitance end-to-end, with the tab floating?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It's a 50 ohm resistor, so it would be hard for me to measure that.

Since each end is about 2.3, the two in series must be at least half that. I'll probably always ground the tab, since I need to heat sink it to my ground plane.

lunatic fringe electronics

Just got some samples of different style DPAK resistors.

The Riedon part is rated for 25 watts, and the Ohmite for 45!!!

I'll test them for capacitances and TDR.

The real issue is, how much power can I allow one of these to dissipate on a PC board? 8 or even 10 watts would be useful right now, but that might get scary.

Maybe I could measure the temperature of the tab with a thermistor and shut down if it gets extreme. What would that be for a PC board? 120C or so?

lunatic fringe electronics

mandag den 29. juli 2019 kl. 02.33.55 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

some info here,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I struggled with 2.5 watts, saw 150C surface temps. After adding a heatsink with dozens of nice prongs, saw much lower temps on the prongs, but still 150C at heatsink base = SMT component surfaces. Only way to get rid of the heat is to add airflow with a fan.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Was that a dpak?

I'm thinking that I might have a lot of vias to a big bottom-side pour, than a gap-pad to the bottom of the aluminum box.

My resistor will get really hot if the user shorts my output (instead of terminating in 50 ohms) so the thermistor shutdown idea looks neat.

lunatic fringe electronics

That sound like a lot... but you know more about those things than most of us here. (An interesting question would be; How much does each square inch of added PCB copper add to the cooling at the device. Assuming copper is added at the periphery.)

How about 2 or 3 in series or parallel?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

PCB copper doesn't conduct heat very well. 1 oz is about 70 K/W per square. If there is a hot part soldered to a square of layer 1 copper, there is dimishing benefit from making the copper bigger; an infinite sheet will have some asymptotic theta. What helps is to use a bigger part to get a bigger footprint, or equivalently via to additional layers to spread the heat quicker. Lots of vias.

That would help thermally, provided they are not clustered together. But spreading them out has its own problems.

I have a rough idea about thetas.

I could maybe get to 10 k/w, maybe a little less, with some bottom-side cooling help. But how hot might I allow the resistor to get? We reflow solder boards at over 200C, and they survive. Maybe allow 150C under fault (user shorts my output) conditions?

lunatic fringe electronics

Even clustered you'll still get the benefit of less R-thermal from the heater element to the outside of the package. (well same R_thermal, but shared heat load.)

Hmm, testing some to-220 pac resistors, I melted the solder junction a few times (built in thermal fuse :^). The resistors seemed to survive without a change in R... at least a few times. Eventually I noticed that the resistance had dropped and I replaced it. My assumption is that R's are more durable than IC's (at least temperature-wise)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

mandag den 29. juli 2019 kl. 17.22.39 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

you can get pcbs made with copper inserts

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

We could also hog a hole in the board, under the part, and bring up an aluminum pillar from the bottom of the box. Both would be more expensive than a bunch of vias. Vias are basically free.

I did that on my Pockels Cell driver, cut a big hole for the Cree fets to access the water-cooled baseplate.

Machining is expensive.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

tirsdag den 30. juli 2019 kl. 18.56.57 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

that's the point of the insert, like a vias it comes with the pcb

we recently used in an RF PA under the main transistor(s) I don't think it cost that much more than a regular PCB

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

About PCBs, just some weeks ago we got quote for 2 layer thick aluminium PCB

To my amazement they came out cheaper than copper layered PCBs

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund