Anyone from Iowa lurking here?

I'm puzzled by the flooding in Iowa.

I grew up in Huntington, West Virginia, which was extensively flooded in the late 1930's (Ohio River).

So they built a flood wall, which is still in use today.

In fact I note that one flood gate is in place today because the Ohio River is up to 28' but, due to the flood walls, flood stage is 50', so there's not a worry at all.

Why, after all the flooding that regularly occurs in Iowa, haven't they built such a system?

...Jim Thompson

They had levees, but they failed.

A lot of these agricultural areas are built in flood plains to take advantage of the rich, alluvial soil. But, of course, how did that soil get there...? (before global warming, that is.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

The levees in Huntington are actually reinforced concrete walls with dirt levees on both sides, plus small-crane-insertable concrete panels which were then sand-bagged during flood stage. Huntington hasn't suffered any damage since 1939.

I know all about that... my Grandfather Godwin owned a strip of land along the Ohio River (Proctorville, OH) where he planted corn, but the farm house and barn were on high ground.

...Jim Thompson