opamp input capacitance

I see opamps that specify "differential" and "common-mode" input capacitance, but don't say what that really means. An extreme case is ADA4817-1, where Ccm is

1.3 pF and Cdiff is 0.1!

Any ideas? If I use this as a classic inverting amp, with the + input grounded, what would the capacitance look like at the - input?

(I'm being pressured to get a proposal out, with specs and pricing, so I don't have time right now to measure this... not that it would be easy.)

 Click to see the full signature

Guess: 0.75?

 Click to see the full signature

1.3 + 0.1 or 1.4pF. (As a guess.) (It's always worse than you think :^)

Unfortunately it often seems to be the common mode capacitance that one cares about.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Take a look at fig 50 in the datasheet.

tm

Reply to
tm

Well, duh! It's not in the test circuit figures where I expected it.

Next question: is Ccm = 2 * Cm?

So an inverting amp, with IN+ grounded, will see 0.75 pF at IN- ???

 Click to see the full signature

I think your guess is correct. CCM is mostly due to the package pin to ground. That differential number is flaky, given that the inputs are adjacent.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

They call Cm the "common mode capacitance of the amplifier" (between equations 14 and 15) so I would guess 1.4pF, as George's not-unduly-pessimistic reading of the ds.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Different makers do it differently, unfortunately. And it's never done under power, AFAICT.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

If Ccm is the sum of both pin capacitances to ground, and Cdiff is the

3-terminal capacitance of one pin to the other, the capacitance at the inverting output might be Ccm/2 + Cdiff. Like 0.75 pF maybe.

I *want* it to be 0.75.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

I was moving wood after work today, (and thinking), it's not the most 'pessimistic number'. I'm not sure how they measure the CM Cap. but they could tie the inputs together, measure that, and then divide by 2. In which case most of the CM cap could be in one input or the other.

So my pessimistic number would be 2.5, (someone may have measured it.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I would think the Cm is one pin to ground and the Cdif is one input to the other.

So 0.75 pF would be my guess.

Who has one and a Boonton C meter?

Reply to
tm

George keeps getting more pessimistic!

I do. I'd better measure it, I guess. Grumble.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

I know you do, but sadly the data sheet sez different, the way I read it, and as you know well the worst way to read it is (at best) the right way.

Ccm is the capacitance from one input to ground, and the total capacitance from both inputs to ground is twice that.

See, for example:-

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Great, I hope it is 0.75pF! If it's >2pF then you have to buy me a beer if I'm every in SF. (I get buy yours at the same time.) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Someone always has to spoil the fun.

Reply to
tm

Generally pin capacitance isn't measured on automatic test equipment. There is too much capacitance just in the handlers, relays, cables, etc. You can try to null that capacitance, but really nobody (based on places I worked) bothers to measure it at test at all.

Pin capacitance is a GBD (guaranteed by design) spec. Here is the reasoning behind this. The first step once wafers leave the fab is to test them parametrically. You insure the basic components meet specifications. There will be test structures in the test pattern than will have enough capacitance to make it easier to measure component capacitance. Once you believe the wafer is within specifications, the pin capacitance should also be within specifications.

Now the final product (packaged chip) is bench tested, and that will include testing pin capacitance. It will be done powered. This has to be the case since protection diodes need to be reversed biased. Since the parameter is not measured at final test, it tends to be very much guardbanded. Much like leakage specifications, the actual product will be much better than the specification.

Reply to
miso

Equation 15 of the DS says Spehro is correct.

Reply to
tm

Bud Light?

 Click to see the full signature

I ran a sim, based on the analog.lib file that you sent. A follower has an input c of 1.4 pF.

 Click to see the full signature

Le Mon, 16 Sep 2013 20:23:57 -0400, Spehro Pefhany a écrit:

Yup. Analog Dev can't be wrong :-), so just have a look at their spice model. The first 4 lines say it all: Cmm=1.3pF, Cd=0.1pF

--
Thanks,
Fred.