Any tall 6mm*6mm inductors?

Folks,

Just got a case where an inductor saturates. It's an existing design and due to a time crunch they'd like to press on for now with the existing layout. It's the Coilcraft LPS6235 series and those are only 3.5mm tall.

I've looked up and down the aisles and could not find any taller cores. Strangely, for larger sizes one can find "cubes" that are as tall as they are wide. Is there anything like that for 6mm*6mm footprint inductors? What I need is 680uH or more and at least 500mA.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Any chance of using a radial, bobbin or rod, style and bending the leads over to make it SMT?

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams

The production folks would flog me for that :-)

It has to fit the land pattern but there are no special height restrictions and it doesn't have to be a shielded inductor. Meaning a tall dog bone core is fine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Ugly; i tried as filter Inductance = 680 uH, Case Length = 6 mm, Case Width = 6 mm and got four matches, max 240mA. And like you said, nothing taller than the width.

More noodling...Mouser 673-P1169.684NLT is "close". There are a hell of a lot of 4x4, 10x10 and 12x12 sizes kicking around. Did not know how to select for the "dogbone" styles; i know they exist because i have seen them in equipment.

Ugly "solution": stack two,one on top of the other..

Sorry.

Reply to
Robert Baer

As tall as wide would already work. But they don't seem to make them for

6mm width, only for 10mm, 12mm and larger. Beats me why because there would be a serious market.

We can have custom ferrites and then inductors made, would not be the first time, but for this project it's a bit too late in the game.

?

That one is twice as wide.

Yeah, I know. The proverbial "rock and a hard spot" :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Mount the damn P1169.684NLT on its side, maybe at an angle? To be fancy and egalitarian, make a post (with appropriate traces), mount the inductor on the pedestal, and coat the whole thing with a golden glitter spray!

Reply to
Robert Baer