6mm knobs on smaller shafts

Does anybody know of a way to use standard 6mm (1/4") knobs on surplus potentiometers with 3, 4 and 5 mm diameter shafts? I was thinking about some copper tubing available in RC models stores, or making my own knobs using wood, but maybe there are better/cheaper solutions. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
asdf

or

better/cheaper

If you have a lathe, it is trivial. But, you might be able to cut pieces off 1/4" spacers and drill the ID to match the pot shaft. Then, file a notch in the side so the setscrew can bear against the shaft. You might have to replace the setscrew with a longer one.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Does anybody know of a way to use standard 6mm (1/4") knobs on surplus potentiometers with 3, 4 and 5 mm diameter shafts? I was thinking about some copper tubing available in RC models stores, or making my own knobs using wood, but maybe there are better/cheaper solutions. Thanks in advance.

You could use so JB Weld / two part epoxy - the 24 hour stuff, not the 5 minute epoxy.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Except, you risk getting it off centre. And you notice an off-centre knob.

I once wanted to do away with a screwdriver to adjust a ten turn trimpot used for breadboarding. I just found some brass tubing at the hobby shop (they still exist) that fit over the screw part. It was snug. I seem to recall I soldered the brass tubing on, but maybe I used glue of some sort. I got a bit more diameter with the tubing, but also had something I could actually turn by hand.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Try this