anti robbery fence

Hello to them oll Electronics engineers and techies.

I would like to project a fence with a high voltage to keep of thieves from my land and house plus valuables. Is anyone here capable of providing suitable input for this project. Minimum or maximum voltages precautions, such as. Kind of transformer etc. Note I don't want to harm much anyone because it would be dangerous and against the law. We don't have electric chair here but it is frowned upon by the law. Something similar to cattle protection circuit on fences you know a slight shock to keep the diots away.

Thank you .

Klaus

Reply to
C.Klaus

I would check and see what your insurance company will allow you to use

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Before you waste your money, check local ordinances and codes. You might not be permitted to build any such thing, in which case you might want to move, first - it's a lot cheaper than paying to build a fence, and then paying fines for having built it, and then having to take it down again.

Won't make a bit of difference to professional thieves, anyway.

Describe and build it ONLY as an electric fence to keep animals in, and borrow an animal from time to time if need be to maintain that idea as valid. The right animal(s) might make some impression on thieves, but try to stick to ones that make an impression on thieves by making a fuss when disturbed (such as geese), as opposed to ones that pose more of a threat to your own family, since your own family will be around them all the time, and professional thieves will just drug or kill "attack animals" before looting your house.

Use standard animal fence electrics, and standard animal electric fence warning signs for humans. The animal fence chargers are already designed to be "safe" for humans. No self-built unit will be acceptable to your insurance company or local officials, so don't try to build the fence charger yourself.

Practically speaking, put your valuables in a bank vault, and relocate to a less crime prone area if that does not solve your feeling that you need to put up an electric fence for robbers.

Ecnerwal

Excellent answer, Martin. Combining real life experience with the technical know-how... just the way engineering should be.

To the original poster: there was a documentary on a young cheetah a few days ago, which was kept isolated on several acres by an electric fence. On the other side of the fence were some baboons. These baboons learned that they could avoid the shock by jumping directly onto the fence (not touching the ground at the same time as touching the fence).

These baboons took some joy in terrorizing the young cheetah by jumping the fence, chasing him a bit, then jumping back to the other side.

If baboons can figure this out, your thieves may or may not be as intelligent...

Michael R. Darrett, P.E.

Reply to
mrdarrett

C.Klaus wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

BAD idea.a REALLY bad idea.

all it takes is ONE person with a weak heart,they die or take a bad fall and you lose your home and your freedom. In some places,all it takes is one pet dog dying.

Then there's the problem of police,fire and emergency responders being able to get to your house in any emergency.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Movement sensored wireless video cameras i hear are cheap nowdays. Connected to home security high pitch alarms may help give early warning systems. Maybe signposts with some of them around the home doors can help discourage rogues from an attack. Recording their faces by such systems may keep them away. Or possibly better nothing there.

Some of the valuables these people take are my vehicles, motorcycle, computers and other basic electronic stuff, cameras and so on . I cannot put these in a bank vault. There is no actual insurance policies in the country where i will relocate, it is in a developing country. From what they tell me the Insurance give you a small fraction of the cost of what you lose over there. A lot of sun and nice vegetation over there, very little pollution but you pay a price for those commodities.

Moreover then theft attacks can be launched anytime even dur>>

Reply to
C.Klaus

Might be a market for PIR activated Tazers, after all they can be used just to stop people asking awkward questions to a politicians, by uniformed thugs

Don't Taze Me, Bro.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Which country? In the Philippines some houses have concrete gates with broken bottle glass shards embedded, to discourage wall scalers.

I was amused by a story there of thieves breaking into a cell phone tower, to steal solar panels.

If no small children are present, consider bringing some large dogs.

What are the local laws? Even ignoring those, if the thief dies, his family might try to kill you in revenge. That's one of the down sides of third-world countries.

Remove the battery from the vehicle to discourage thieves...

Good luck,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Sloppy fence design. A good electric fence (for keeping animals in/out) has grounded wires as well as hot wires, and ideally has them in a pattern that does not allow a consistent climb up the fence (ie, only grab every other wire, and Mr. Raccoon or Baboon soon figures that out - so you run two or three hots or grounds together at some point to make it a bit trickier).

But rubber gloves are not that hard to come by, nor are > Some of the valuables these people take are my vehicles, motorcycle,

Well, if you are going to go be a rich foreigner in a poor country, you might want to hire staff to keep your stuff safe, and provide you with locals on your side, or else learn to do without the stuff that the locals are going to steal from you anyway - you'll pay the price one way or another. Be poor like the natives and enjoy the sun, vegetation, and lack of pollution, while having nothing worth stealing, or else get visited by thieves until you arrive at that condition involuntarily (or decide to leave, but then, it would be less stressful to decide not to go in the first place).

Ecnerwal

I'm against such a set up but couldn't help but imagine this:

Let's say the fence is 12ft high.

Perhaps the electrodes on the fence can be arranged with a vertical voltage gradient. In other words, the higher the climb ..the more shock..

Here's an electrode arrangement example with arbitrary numbers:

-----1000V 9ft

----ground

------800V 8ft

-----ground

-----400V 7ft

----ground

----200V 6ft

Small animals climbing will feel more shock the higher they climb. This may make it safer for neighbors pets. Hopefully they'll jump off (jolted off?) before reaching the more dangerous levels.

The top of the fence would be the most shocking. Here.... smoldering charred thief's will be stuck and stinking up the neighborhood. Great video material for Youtube and your local prosecutor :P

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

At my previous house, kids would climb over my 6' wooden fence to take a shortcut around a creek. After much thought, I rigged a thin tripline along the top of the fence going to an air valve. The air valve admitted 120 psi air into an old truck airhorn.

I only heard it go off once.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Use a standard off-the-shelf system to keep cattle and horses inside a fence...

Reply to
Robert Baer

BTW, any lock is good only to keep honest people out...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Awwww..don't give such excellent advice; tell him to use a sawed-off shotgun loaded with rock salt!

Reply to
Robert Baer

In my teens, my ten speed bicycle got stolen from the back yard. There was nothing to chain it to. Only the wheels could be chained. The thief carried it.

I got another ten speed.. I made a simple switch activated alarm. The bicycle would rest against a long tang to a 'cherry' switch.

At 2am the alarm went off. I pressed the "ignite firecrackers" button....but nothing.. Moisture got into the bundle of firecrackers and it didn't ignite.

I raced out.. to see some guy running up the street. I made the alarm too loud. He hear it. It was supposed to be a silent alarm... :P

It was all teenage stupidity....

4 bags of underground concrete and a U bar would have made a good locking point.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

On a sunny day (Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:07:01 -0800) it happened D from BC wrote in :

I think the old way to do this, is bury a metal net under the bike, connected with steel cables to a half bent down tree,. A small pin holds an other steel cable that hold the tree down. The pin is connected to the bike, needs only 2 inches to release the tree.

In the morning the tree is erect, you pick the fruits. I guess he will need a bigger net for cars.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ha ha I had that one on my mind but I don't want to turn my new home into a cemetry ... not that i am superstitious but foreigners shooting the locals for whatever reason may not be acceptable.

Klaus

Reply to
C.Klaus

I remembered the place I got has a woven wire fence so I think that would complicate setting it up as an electrical fence. Because the live and grounds have to be seperated otherwise no shock for the culprits. If I was to connect a high voltage to it the current would blow the fuses there as that is what they use for protection.

Klaus

Reply to
C.Klaus

Robert Baer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

It REALLY irks me when some IDIOT suggests moving to a less crime-prone area.As if people living in such neighborhoods could afford to move to better places. Not to mention it's surrendering.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Good advice Michael. No young children will be living with me so the dogs can do. But I remember in the past I had two ferocious German shepherd dogs and they were always fighting and I was many times in the middle trying to seperate them with a steel bar because they were almost killing each other. One day one of them during a fight tore into the neck of the other with its teeth and blood came out like a fountain and it died shortly after. Having more then 1 ferocious dog at home is more dangerous for the dogs.

Klaus

Reply to
C.Klaus