another hack

A low-rent equivalent might be to clean copperclad and rub it down with some Cool-Amp powder

Solderability is good, it's not a hard process to master, but gold enhances customer satisfaction better ...

Reply to
whit3rd

since it is silver I'm guessing it will turn black over time

you could tin it instead

-Lasse

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Cool-amp is the dreaded silver - it creeps across insulating surfaces and turns black.

Ancient recipe (found it in a handyman's book from the 1940s when I was a kid) - cream of tartar, salt, silver nitrate:

Grizzly H.
Reply to
mixed nuts

:

could get inspired by this :

1USolI

I bought the CNC 6040 last year:

My wife has a clothing store and the facade sign was something like 100 USD per letter, so I bought the machine to mill the sign myself. Worked out gr eat, and now I can do all kinds of funny stuff (If I ever get the time to)

d on linuxcnc

The MACH3 comes free of charge for the CNC 3020 or 6040 etc. I haven't dug deep into the SW, but I think the MACH3 outperforms GRBL by a long shot. I have the probing tool to, so just place the PCB on a support plate, probe t he edges and surface, and it is calibrated to provide better results

drivers

Nice

Actually the CNC 3020 can be retrofittet with a 3D printer head, so you can even do 3D printing

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Awesome. I have a couple of silver carving platters to touch up, and that stuff looks great. The MSDS says sodium chloride, calcium carbonate, and silver chloride, so no nasties in there (e.g. cyanide).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

:

u could get inspired by this :

DN1USolI

Actually this is just an example of the one I bought. A collegue of mine ha d bought the CNC 3020 and he ran into problems right away since the cables for the steppers was cheap grade, even single core AFAIR.

So I spend long time scoping the CNC forums and found one with decent quali ty (it cost a little more)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Den onsdag den 9. december 2015 kl. 22.14.01 UTC+1 skrev Klaus Kragelund:

:

u could get inspired by this :

DN1USolI

SD per letter, so I bought the machine to mill the sign myself. Worked out great, and now I can do all kinds of funny stuff (If I ever get the time to )

sed on linuxcnc

g deep into the SW, but I think the MACH3 outperforms GRBL by a long shot. I have the probing tool to, so just place the PCB on a support plate, probe the edges and surface, and it is calibrated to provide better results

yes MACH3 can do much more than grbl, but if all you want to do is a bit of simple milling and don't have a parallelport it'll do ok

erdrivers

an even do 3D printing

never had much faith in 3D printing, seems like a silly, slow, cumbersome w ay of making flimsy ugly plastic parts, fine for a visual prototype but not very useful otherwise

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

ny:

's a

you could get inspired by this :

is

re

SwDN1USolI

USD per letter, so I bought the machine to mill the sign myself. Worked ou t great, and now I can do all kinds of funny stuff (If I ever get the time to)

re

based on linuxcnc

or

dug deep into the SW, but I think the MACH3 outperforms GRBL by a long shot . I have the probing tool to, so just place the PCB on a support plate, pro be the edges and surface, and it is calibrated to provide better results

of simple milling and don't have a parallelport it'll do ok

pperdrivers

can even do 3D printing

way of making flimsy ugly plastic parts, fine for a visual prototype but n ot very

We have one at work, it runs a lot. You need to know what you are doing, su pport materials etc, but it really saves us a lot of money (normal price is 200 USD for a very simple prototype)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

[...]

I once thought it would be cool to mount a near field probe to the CNC and let it scan a PCB for radiated EMC debugging

Like this one:

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 09:32:54 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Might get one of these.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 09:36:49 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen Gave us:

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 09:43:06 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen Gave us:

My personal time to make such a hobby level toy makes the engraver I posted a link to quite a good value.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Den onsdag den 9. december 2015 kl. 22.28.51 UTC+1 skrev Klaus Kragelund:

d:

hany:

re's a

so

y you could get inspired by this :

it is

es

nd

are

AOSwDN1USolI

00 USD per letter, so I bought the machine to mill the sign myself. Worked out great, and now I can do all kinds of funny stuff (If I ever get the tim e to)

pare

s based on linuxcnc

SB or

t dug deep into the SW, but I think the MACH3 outperforms GRBL by a long sh ot. I have the probing tool to, so just place the PCB on a support plate, p robe the edges and surface, and it is calibrated to provide better results

t of simple milling and don't have a parallelport it'll do ok

tepperdrivers

ou can even do 3D printing

me way of making flimsy ugly plastic parts, fine for a visual prototype but not very

support materials etc, but it really saves us a lot of money (normal price is 200 USD for a very simple prototype)

where you don't need mechanical strength and smooth finish, like for protot yping an enclosure or something like I can see the use

looks like

does SLA $0.95 per gram

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

t :

s a

you could get inspired by this :

ew

The Vectric 3D is a good SW tool for making G-code...

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Den onsdag den 9. december 2015 kl. 22.38.16 UTC+1 skrev Klaus Kragelund:

[...]

I have considered it for automated testing, instead of making a "bed of nai ls" extract the testpoint coordinates from the PCB and use a pogo pin inste ad of a spindle

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

und:

efhany:

PG

here's a

, so

bly you could get inspired by this :

$1K

bit is

odes

and

um are

YAAOSwDN1USolI

100 USD per letter, so I bought the machine to mill the sign myself. Worke d out great, and now I can do all kinds of funny stuff (If I ever get the t ime to)

or

spare

is based on linuxcnc

USB or

n't dug deep into the SW, but I think the MACH3 outperforms GRBL by a long shot. I have the probing tool to, so just place the PCB on a support plate, probe the edges and surface, and it is calibrated to provide better result s

bit of simple milling and don't have a parallelport it'll do ok

stepperdrivers

you can even do 3D printing

some way of making flimsy ugly plastic parts, fine for a visual prototype b ut not very

, support materials etc, but it really saves us a lot of money (normal pric e is 200 USD for a very simple prototype)

otyping an enclosure or something like I can see the use

5 per gram

Very nice price, if one can tolerate the wait ;-)

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

[...]

Wow, I never thought about that. Sort of a simple flying probe

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

:

lund:

Pefhany:

JPG

There's a

s, so

ibly you could get inspired by this :

$1K

e bit is

codes

s and

num are

XYAAOSwDN1USolI

e 100 USD per letter, so I bought the machine to mill the sign myself. Work ed out great, and now I can do all kinds of funny stuff (If I ever get the time to)

or

a spare

e is based on linuxcnc

h USB or

en't dug deep into the SW, but I think the MACH3 outperforms GRBL by a long shot. I have the probing tool to, so just place the PCB on a support plate , probe the edges and surface, and it is calibrated to provide better resul ts

bit of simple milling and don't have a parallelport it'll do ok

d stepperdrivers

o you can even do 3D printing

rsome way of making flimsy ugly plastic parts, fine for a visual prototype but not very

and let it scan a PCB for radiated EMC debugging

nails" extract the testpoint coordinates from the PCB and use a pogo pin in stead of

Something like that can be done by a robotic arm instead. 10 years from now you don't use standard probes, you just tell the scope which test point yo u need measured :-)

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

aka 'flying probe' method.

That's how they test prototype PCBs without NRE for a test fixture.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Den onsdag den 9. december 2015 kl. 22.59.51 UTC+1 skrev Klaus Kragelund:

:

nd:

gelund:

o Pefhany:

1.JPG

. There's a

his, so

ssibly you could get inspired by this :

~ $1K

ade bit is

w codes

xis and

minum are

:xXYAAOSwDN1USolI

ike 100 USD per letter, so I bought the machine to mill the sign myself. Wo rked out great, and now I can do all kinds of funny stuff (If I ever get th e time to)

US or

s a spare

are is based on linuxcnc

ith USB or

aven't dug deep into the SW, but I think the MACH3 outperforms GRBL by a lo ng shot. I have the probing tool to, so just place the PCB on a support pla te, probe the edges and surface, and it is calibrated to provide better res ults

a bit of simple milling and don't have a parallelport it'll do ok

and stepperdrivers

so you can even do 3D printing

bersome way of making flimsy ugly plastic parts, fine for a visual prototyp e but not very

NC and let it scan a PCB for radiated EMC debugging

f nails" extract the testpoint coordinates from the PCB and use a pogo pin instead of

ow you don't use standard probes, you just tell the scope which test point you need measured :-)

you could do that now :)

just stick scope probe on the spindle, get the coordinate from the gerber and probe away. Stick a cheap usb microscope on there if you want visual