and now another one

The previous problem is fixed I replaced the driver 8188eu.OK But when I reboot the address on the wlan0 is 192.168.0.17 outside my network 192.168.0.xx I can't figure out where that com from? I can change the address manually (ifconfig wlan0 192.xxx) and it stay, but if I reboot. Many thanks in advances BTW I am retired (since 2008 )-

Reply to
zeneca

zeneca

Bit muddled there.

Could it be a link local address?

For IPv4 they're kind of allocated by default when there is no reason to assigned any particular address.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Reply to

It seems to me that it is your IP address toward the outside Internet. You cannot go there using the RFC1918 addresses.

Your internal network (192.168.xx.yy) belongs to a RFC1918 private address group.

My guess is that the address is assigned byu DHCP from your service provider.

--

-TV
Reply to

... its normal for an ISP to set the address used to contact whatever device i.e. firewall or ADSL front end that talks directly to your ISP, but I've never heard of an ISP setting an RFC1918 address, which is, or should be, on the *inside* of your gateway device and set by yourself using an internal connection to it.

My setup works that way: the only difference is that my ISP owns a block of IP addresses and so was able to assign a static external address to my ADSL router, which is connected over a PSTN copper cable. Internally, I've assigned static RFC1918 addresses to the devices on the inside, on the same subnet (192.168.7.*), which therefore interconnects my ADSL router/firewall, computers, internet Radio box and printer. These are all linked using a switch box and CAT5 cable.

Since your system sounds to be somewhat different to mine, it would help if you describe:

- the connection between ISP and your house and what type of connection it is: copper (ADSL), FTTC, FTTP, wifi,...

- what device terminates that link at your end

- and how you've configured the computers, printers etc inside your house.

- the network inside your house (IPV4 or IPV6, wifi or cable).

- since you seem to have been running ok on IPV4, why you're playing with IPV6

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Your router should be giving your Pi (and all other computers on your local network, whether connected by wifi or Ethernet) addresses of the form

192.168.x.y. If your Pi is not getting a 192.168.x.y address, something is wrong.

You could use a site such as

"Shields Up Probe My Ports" which will tell you your router's WAN (public internet) address - look for the text "If several of the numbers from your current IP address" on the page.

I wonder if that address is 196.x.254.27 or similar.

That will show whether your Pi is somehow being given a public address instead of a private LAN address.

Check also that the Pi is definitely connecting to your own router's wifi network and not to a neighbour's.

Also, if you can, connect the Pi by Ethernet to the router (you may need to disable wlan) and see if the same thing happens.

Reply to
NY

Some ISPs operate an RFC-1918 network for their customers and use NAT to map it onto a much smaller range of real IP addresses - "carrier grade NAT" they call it. Then you run NAT on your boundary router and you can forget about anything coming in.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Just type "whats my ip" in to google.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Ah! I've learned something. Much easier than what I was suggesting.

Reply to
NY

If it was 169.254.xx.xx that would be a link-local address. Perhaps that's a typo by the OP?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Me also. I've also found that "whats my ip" also works with Brave 1.26.74

  • Duck Duck Go search engine and Firefox 89 + IXQuick search engine. System system upgraded to Fedora 34 last Saturday, so these are current web browser versions.

Ars Technica reported on Firefox 90 today, and like it, so maybe next week...

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

For server installs: