Amusing Chair Stealing Story from R&D Company

Long ago in a tech company...

I get to my lab bench and guess what...the chair is gone. Somebody moved it into the fume hood room.. Few days later... Chair gone again! Bastards... :( Somebody took it and left it at a glueing station.

So... I tied a nylon cord to my chair.. Just a small deterrent.. Cord cut...chair gone! :( More annoying, somebody raided my tool drawer and used my own scissors to cut the cord...and didn't put them back..

Chain next??? Too extreme...So I just tied the cord together.

The chair borrowing stopped when there was about 6 knots in the cord. :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

LOL ::)

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

RS used to (maybe still does) sell a little box about the size of a coffee timer or transistor radio that's just a battery, switch, and Sonalert - the switch is a "shorting jack" - when the plug gets pulled out, it turns on the Sonalert.

Fasten one of these to your chair, and secure the lanyard somewhere - Hmm, maybe you should make the lanyard out of wire rope. ;-) And lock up your scissors. ;-) ;-)

Personally, I'd have gone for the chain before the rope, but paint it some unobtrusive color. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Run a 10 KV wire through the legs and back.

--
.
.

Zaappp.. There were many people borrowing my chair. One newbie didn't know about the string connected to the chair. I saw him roll it away very fast (quick get away?) When the string ran out of slack; the chair crashed on the floor. He had that WTF look.. :)

Here's a groaner: I didn't want to make a deal with the chair borrowers..I was afraid there would be "no strings attached" :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

One could have a CO2-powered piston and spike instead.

If people want to be a PITA, they deserve one.

Reply to
Kryten

I had this crazy idea.. I'd charge up a bunch of low leakage capacitors and carefully pile them on the chair seat... Just the pile might discourage someone from borrowing the chair.. Hey...moving junk is hard work :) But if they did try to move the capacitors..Zapppp! D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

These revenge fantasies mustn't be taken too seriously. There was a chappie near here a few years ago, thought someone was going in his shed when he wasn't there. So he rigged up a tripwire and a sawn off shotgun to catch them. Then forgot he'd done it. The judge didn't show much compassion towrds him- he got a stiff jail sentence despite blowing his own bollocks off.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Well I wasn't being serious.

I don't have any sympathy with the shotgun/shed guy either.

Might have been some homeless person looking for shelter, or some teenagers looking for a place to make out. And it's only a shed.

Sounds like a good candidate for the Darwin Awards, or an urban myth debunking.

Reply to
Kryten

Jay Leno told the tale of a would be kidnapper who stuck his gun in the waistband of his pants and shot his left testicle. The pain made him cringe resulting in him then shooting his right testicle. That's the definition of a bad day.

--
.
.

I've always heard that booby-trapping like that is terribly illegal; possibly even to the extent that if some trespasser gets nailed by your booby-trap, you could get charged with murder.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

That happened in Florida a number of years ago; seems that this storeowner got tired of being robbed again and again with the cops doing nothing. Entry was always thru a skylight (or something like that) in the roof, so the storeowner rigged it and got the perp.

Reply to
Robert Baer