Amdahl's Law

To read about what real engineering is all about....

Watch the wrap, or cut and paste.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

nice inspiring recount!

Marc

Reply to
LVMarc

I found it rather inspiring myself!

...Jim Thompson

And, Dr. Amdahl never resorted to calling folks, who he disagreed with, "leftist weenies," nor resort to other denigrating methods.

This is also interesting:

's_law

Reply to
Charles

Yes, but it shouldn't inspire you. You should ALREADY be inspired to be working in this field. Otherwise, you are a lazy freeloader, letting each day pass like a cop and his doughnuts and coffee.

Reply to
SomeKindOfWonderful

Interesting. Triology was quite the bust. Even if they could have solved the thermal problems, wafer scale bipolar is never going happen due to yield issues.

Reply to
miso

It pains me to post in any thread started by JT, but occasionally he does start one pretty much on topic and interesting.

I left IBM to join Amdahl just before the first machines shipped in

1975. Amdahl was an extremely great and rewarding place to work. It was a privilege to work with a group of people that converged based on their intelligence and willingness to take a risk so they could push the possibilities. Being among that group of people for some years was as much of a reward as the accomplishments of doing the good and creative technical and business work.

The people who were there in the 70's had a reunion about a year ago. Really great to reunite and reminisce with all those people. Wish everyone could work with a group like that. It is getting more and more rare.

Amdahl (the company and the person) took the computer industry to a place that IBM was not ready to go without the competition.

I was a bit down in the ranks of those who really made it happen, but I met and talked with Gene a few times. I had dinner with him and his wife one evening in Oslo, Norway. As with most really intelligent and leading-edge creative people I have met, he is very humble, friendly, and accessible.

Probably too late in life for JT to add those other qualities beyond his intelligence and sense of superiority. Too bad for everyone here.

Reply to
mainframer
[snip]

From this group I've only personally met Spehro and Win.

I have two personas, one political and one for engineering.

They are quite different... ask these two gentlemen.

Though the engineering one is starting to develop a cranky streak over the daily-exhibited incompetence ;-)

...Jim Thompson

There's nothing wrong with getting cranky over engineering carelessness and incompetence. But if you ask me you would do well to lower the political mud-throwing. It certainly pushes me away from threads you're involved in. Anyway, it seems we can all learn something valuable from Amdahl.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Gee Jim, you seem to be being raked over the coals, I don't get it! But then I'm not a leftist weenie! :-) Mike

Reply to
mike

Dr. Amdahl is quite the example.

Win, Haven't you noted that I'm "mellowing" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Recount? Recount is the verb form. The noun is recountal.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That's SOP that posters that don't even banter electronics seem free to pick on me... pick away ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Starting to develop a cranky streak? You could start a model T at ten paces! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sno-o-o-o-ort!

...Jim Thompson

Are you going to switch to "leftist Frankfurters"?

John

I thought that you'd like it! :)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I thought you met Larkin. Larkin is the one I want to get my hands on..err...I mean meet:-)

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I believe we talked on the phone... he introduced me to a very nice wheat beer.

I've also talked, by phone, with several other posters (and lurkers) here. Some choose anonymity.

...Jim Thompson

As I recall, Felix Frankfurter followed the Constitution ;-)

...Jim Thompson