Airbus A350 first flight a success, will Boeing apply for Chapter 11?

Since the bags are tagged anyway, why not redirect a bag to a specific conveyer and tell this conveyer ID to the passenger e.g. at check-in ?

To get the idea further, the conveyer should be surrounded by slots. A passenger then could go to any slot, show a bar code slip to a reader and then the selected bag would be kicked of the conveyer to the slot. Of course, there should be several people waiting for their bags in a single slot, due to the long latency of the conveyer belt. This would also reduce the risk for thefts.

Reply to
upsidedown

They don't think that far :-)

Plus it's too much work. They dump all baggage into carts, make a small road train out of those, and then they dump them back out.

It would require very good ID systems that can optically read the tags, even mangled ones. That isn't easy at all.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

.

bag

I believe they all ready do that in the big maze of automated baggage handling they have at the big airports

what I would like is that people would take three steps back from the conveyer so that when you see your bag you can actually get it

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

No British gaskets, good old German Staefas instead ...

--

-T.
Reply to

To some extent. Often I get my suitcase and the tag is completely mangled or torn off.

The funniest events are always when everything tears. First a shirt shows up. Then some hot pants, then a bra ... and nobody claims it :-)

That is the same as asking drivers not to tailgate you because it won't save them one lone second of travel time (but might result in a major insurance claim).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I guess they're already transmitting manifests and other data from departure to arrival, so at least the information tranfer might be a straightforward extension.

RFID is cheap enough that they could use that, even embedded in disposable paper tickets (like some of China's rail tickets, which use European technology- others use plastic cards).

Here's what the tickets actually look like:

(That's a soft-class upper-berth sleeper ticket from Beijing West station to Xian, which cost (in 2006) Y480 or about $80).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Allowing many more people access to classified information.

The published version of the Cortwright Report on the Apollo 13 malfunction had the details of guidance systems redacted. Still does.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Fiat use(d) Magneti Marelli electrics, Citroen, Ducellier.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

But the point of tailgaters is not that, but intimidate you to drive faster, so that way they could get faster to their destintion.

Reply to
cameo

The ones that I hate are those who bust a gut to get past you, nearly wiping out oncoming vehicles, then, at the next red light, they're right in front of you.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

How about a permanent RFID in every piece of luggage? Scan it when it's checked in, and at ever transfer point where it's handled as a separate item. The tags are cheap enough, and the passive types don't have batteries to die.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Permanent RFID implanted in each of the passengers too?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Only those with an IQ below 70. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Only Mike Terrell is dim enough to believe that IQ tests measure anything all that useful. There's a fairly strong correlation between IQ test results and success at passing school examinations, but neither correlates well with success in real life.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You mean liberals?

Reply to
tm

efficient than the Boeing dreamliner.,

Boeing has adapted. The 747-8 is the answer. That -8 is because it got the wings and engines from the 787. Results in better fuel economy, quieter operation and same 747 configuration.

On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:26:20 -0400) it happened T wrote in :

efficient than the Boeing dreamliner.,

IIRC that has not been decided to be build yet, and is waiting for enough orders. Even then it will take years before it flies.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

efficient than the Boeing dreamliner.,

AFAIUI, the 747-8 is Boeing's answer to the A380. They've only delivered maybe 15 of them for passenger service since 2005 so it's not a very popular choice. They've delivered another 35 for freight so far (total about 50), and orders for another 50 or 60 total, which is fewer than half the total deliveries for the A380, and about 1/5 of the A380's backlog of 260+ aircraft.

IIRC, Airbus did something similar when the 787 was announced and offered a tweaked A340 but developed a new aircraft to seriously compete for the lion's share of the market.

There may not be a big enough market (yet?) for the really big birds for two serious players.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You remember wrong. Last year we designed EFBs (electronic flight bags) for Lufthansa's new fleet of 20 747-800. And it really exists, I have been in the cockpit of the first one.

--
Reinhardt Behm
Reply to

And they fly. For example UA8826 going IAD-FRA (it's a Lufthansa code share flight but I don't remember their flight number).