Jan Panteltje

"Jan Panteltje" schreef in bericht news:k68g9m$t9l$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

Back to old electron tube equipment?

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

$t9l$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

..

It is my understanding that a small nuclear device detonated at reltively medium altitude will 'activate' the atmosphere to create over 50,000 V/m that 'sprinkles' down over an area of several hundreds of miles of diameter, something like 600 miles. And, now military electronics routinely are designed to ignore those fields. Hmmm....at

1200 v/inch I think most electronics cna be made to ignore that, but if you have wires that extend out over 1 meter, good luck.
Reply to
Robert Macy

On a sunny day (Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:03:54 +0200) it happened "petrus bitbyter" wrote in :

Yes, perhaps nuvistors? At least those are small.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 24 Oct 2012 07:33:41 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Robert Macy wrote in :

I think in the case of microwaves, say cm length or shorter, resonance can be had a much shorter than a meter. Say goodbye to your cellphone and GPS.... TV, bluetooth, shortwave radio, it is all in plastic housing, few cm PCB tracks and its semiconductors fries. Even connector pins can make great antennas.

When I worked in the TV studio, the roof was lined with copper, for screening. But I could get good reception next to a small window, only one there was in the control room. Totally screened buildings may be a solution against this sort of attack.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Aviation Week has been discussing HPM weapons for a couple of years now. Rumors are that an airplane can be tiled with modules, each a planar antenna, an energy storage capacitor, and some sort of closing switch, possibley a laser-triggered diamond film. The numbers are reported to be terawatts of phased-array-focussed energy.

 Click to see the full signature

It's directed energy so it's garbage.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Center rear computer ejects disc with force.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The majority of energy in both LEMP and NEMP are at relatively low frequencies (around 1 MHz, wavelength 300 m), thus conductors in small battery operated devices are very small relative to the wavelength and thus, the antenna efficiency is _extremely_ poor. This makes the risk for damage smaller.

Devices using RS-232 style serial communication with long cables are at high risk as well as any mains powered equipment.

OTOH, proper cabling (preferably by twisted wires) may of course simplify the problem. While the cable may have a huge common mode voltage due to EMP, the differential voltage might not be that bad.

As long as a device is connected to a single network (e.g. mains, telephone, serial or ethernet) _and_ is _not_ not connected to local ground, the device should have a better survivability to EMP.

When more than one network is involved or there is a connection to ground, the holy smoke will exit from the chips :-).

Reply to
upsidedown

The question is how many of the computers in the clip, rebooted later?

What was the percentage of hard kills?

Getting into the front ends of modern RF devices with tight filters and proper shielding is tough,

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts

On a sunny day (Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:10:27 +0300) it happened snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in :

I think there is a problem there. Say this statement you make is correct (I would have to look it up, but I trust you on that), then this is a *different* beast. They specifically mention 'microwave' and as it is in a missile the 'antenna (beam former, dish, whatever they use) must have a very limited size and weight.

So from that I conclude that most energy will be in the very very short wavelength (cm to mm I'd guess) band. There is NO WAY you could do meter waves from a missile, unless you carry some huge contraption along.

I have read many years ago that some of these EMP generators work by exploding a charge around a coil, say inductor, I bet such a thing thing chirps too, but even then energy concentration in a given band is an issue.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 24 Oct 2012 16:37:38 +0000 (UTC)) it happened gregz wrote in :

Wow, good find!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

you on that),

size and weight.

wavelength (cm to mm I'd guess) band.

huge contraption along.

a charge around a coil,

I did not watch that promotional video, but again, in order to generate any significant antenna gain (actually directivity) from something as small as a missile, you really need to be somewhere in the millimeter band.

High gain (directivity) also means that you take power from an omnidirectional radiator and concentrate all power into a single direction. This might be useful for taking out a single high value target (but requiring high aiming precession) but absolutely useless for taking out any decentralized system. Why would any "bad guy" use any centralized systems ?

One technical aspect, if you intend to use microwaves to destroy electronics, a long wire attached to an electronic device is not very effective antenna, since after multiple wavelengths, the signal cancels out. If you use a long wire (10-300 m) to receive 100 MHz FM broadcasts, the signal voltage is similar to a 1.5 m resonant dipole.

Using too low frequencies (with conductors well below 1/10th of a wavelength) the radiation resistance is very low (ohms or milliohms) and not much power is connected to the device.

Using too high frequencies and the signal is catcalled out at multiple wavelengths.

If I would want to create as much as possible havoc to electronic devices that are connected to various wired networks, I would use some VHF emitters (wavelength 3-30) MHz, in which the coupling between the RF field to electronics is the most effective for typical conductor lengths.

Anyway, that Boeing video appears to be a promotional video for the US congress :-).

Reply to
upsidedown

Hopefully the upcoming sequestration will take care of worthless programs like this. It is of absolutely no strategic or tactical value, just another holdover from the overfunded geeky 'death ray' days of the 80's.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Italian Seismologists!

Reply to
MettleBeerStolid

Lip synch sucks!

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Wed, 24 Oct 2012 14:53:12 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

this. It is of absolutely no strategic or

days of the 80's.

I am not sure, think a bit wider application, you fly for example over a power plant control room, telco center (those ARE centralized, as a fire at Vodafone in the Netherlands showed), Destroying enemy infrastructure is a basic was strategy, railway control center, water, just to kill their production lines. And all that without immediate casualties.. In WW2 UK bombed and bombed Germany to kill infrastructure. There is a political issue too, if nobodies handy or TV (TV stations) is working, that is enough. Politician cannot get his war jive across... War over.

TV stations are usually the first target, I was briefed on that when I worked there. I still remember watching Iraq TV on satellite and see it bombed and gong of air. It was transmitting nice pictures of Iraqi art and singing the praises of Saddam. I guess they will try to do it to Assad to, cruise missile from UK submarine, state TV off the air. There you go. Nice weapon. Assad you gotta to screen your buildings.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

trust you on that),

ted size and weight.

avelength (cm to mm I'd guess) band.

some huge contraption along.

oding a charge around a coil,

use a cap for discharge, wrap an explosive charge around the discharge path, discharge the cap AND blow the charge, now THAT makes an impressive portable EMP

Reply to
Robert Macy

this. It is of absolutely no strategic or

days of the 80's.

showed),

there.

air.

Saddam.

during that yugoslavian war thing in the 90s? the US took out the power substations by shorting out them out with "graphite bombs".

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Then again, I heard from a .yu friend that the good ol' boys fought back by jerry-rigging microwaves to run with the door open. Seems the hostile anti-radar missiles watched for 2.45GHz transmitters......

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams