Existance of Standard and Versatile Card for 3HE Rack Cabinets for my Lab

Hi

I've got a Rack cabinet with height of 3HE and a backplane with seemingly s tandard connectors:

Sometimes during development I spend some time making test equipment and I would like to reduce that time and have something more cool

So my idea is to embed a ARM eval board or a PSOC Eval board onto a 1 or 2 unit card, so I can bring out connections to the front or another card inst alled in the rack. A connection to the eval board allows for upload of new SW, that is required for a relevant test with the required functionality.

But, instead of making the board from scratch, does standard cards exist wi th breakout area on, so I can get a jump start? (and that is not prohibitiv e expensive)

Thanks

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Yes. Are you using VME, CompactPCI, or something else? Google "VME prototyping board" or "CompactPCI prototyping board" for many options.

is a 3U VME prototype board for US$7, quantity 1. You have to install the VME connector.

CompactPCI prototype boards seem to be more expensive (US$100+), probably because it is a newer bus and mostly only companies (not humans) buy it.

If the signals are not too fast and there aren't many of them, it is also possible to just buy a VME or CompactPCI connector, solder a few wires to it, and get the signals out that way.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Hi, Klaus -

Look for the new PSoC4 on the Cypress Web site. It is an ARM and sells for about $3.50 in single quantities from Mouser.

John S

Reply to
John S

I meant to point you to the "Pioneer" kit Cypress offers. $25!

John S

Wow, that's really nice and low price. Thanks for the link :-)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

844

That's really nice. I have actually used the PSOC 1, 3 and 5 before. The PS OC4 is a little limited in memory, but I can see they have increased their efforts on making better analog. Now it really has nice specs. Below 1mV of fset at up to 6MHz GBW for both the opamp and comparator.

But, the price is still very high. I get a M0 with 32kB flash and in princi ple the flexibility of the analog/digital array. But I can get a ST M3 with 256kB for the same price.

Anyway, it's really nice for this one-off purpose of a generic lab instrume nt. Thanks for the hint :-)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund