AccessHD DTV decoder report

That's right - TV should be free, the way God intended it. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Careful with that assumption. Thanks to the DRM required by the MPAA, if the decoder can't negotiate with a valid display over the HDMI, it may refuse to work. Or it might default to low resolution mode.

Marching to a different kettle of fish.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I would think that particular tuner would work as it is that same brand as the monitor, not necessarily true. So what is the alternative? A usb tuner or tuner card in the computer?

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

Brand doesn't matter. The DRM built into HDMI exists specifically to prevent you from feeding an unencrypted high definition signal into anything that might record it. Since DVI is unencrypted, it is not a 'trusted' destination for video content.

Take a look at this:

There is no place like 127.0.0.1
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Problem solved. My old monitor broke so I bought a Samsung Syncmaster T240HD and hooked my amplified rabbit ears to it. 24" 1080P.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

You really beleive that? Then why do you see all those 60 V 30 pole and pedestal mounted power transformers? They are CVTs, so the efficiency is less than a normal transformer. A 5 MW EIRP UHF transmitter puts out around 200 KW of RF and the transmitter site uses about 250 to 300 KW of electricity.

Each of those CATV power transformers is around 1.9 KW, for 131 to

158 CVTs. How many homes do you think that would cover, vs the transmitter?
Michael A. Terrell

999 Channels here.

...Jim Thompson

On Apr 11, 4:58=A0pm, Jim Thompson wrote: > On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:46:18 -0700, Jim Thompson >

Actually that may not be true. I've read that KABC-DT in LA will be down to 15kW ERP when they switch to channel 7 DT after June 12 (unless the congressional wizards change it AGAIN). Keep in mind the ERP (Effective Radiated Power) has a multiplier for the antenna gain. On channel 7 that could easily be 10 dB which knocks that transmitter power level down. And of course they cover the physical area of _many_ cable companies. Yes there are more channels than just KABC but those cable companies have a LOT of repeater amps in the systems.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Many of those channels would never be developed,let alone broadcast,if it weren't for cable.(and no great loss,either...) And not because of lack of spectrum. Most of those channels are rarely watched,or in extremely low numbers.

With cable needing to distribute low voltage power for it's 1000's of line amps over miles of cable,the losses are high.

BTW,all the subchannels available with DTV is nifty. One PBS channel has 5 subs.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik