A secondary -but planned!- use for the speed-detecting radar signal?

Highest frequency I see in that Wiki article is 900MHz.

...Jim Thompson

Man, when i take a piss at work, there is a radar above me that automagically detects me and then flushes the pisser. MAybe the ambulance has a pisser on board.

I wonder if they use radar type frequences in medical places..

Reply to
The Real Andy

Are you sure that's RADAR? Isn't it PIR, or maybe SONAR?

I think that whole "Ambulances Have Radar Warnings" thing is a load of crock, thank you very much.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, that auto flusher is passive IR. See "Carl and Jerry; the wolf whistle". No toilets on any ambulance that i have been able to check.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

That's correct. The same radar transmitters are also used on arrow board warning signs. Some are designed to measure and display your speed, other just send the signal to make your detector go off to hopefully get your attention so you'll see the sign.

It is the high tech way of saying "out of my way!".

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I would assume you could do so if you bought or built such a transmitter since grocery stores automatic doors spray the whole surrounding area with radar emissions that set off everyone's detectors.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That "use" would be illegal in the US.

you can BUY real handheld radar speed guns. They are used in sports.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

..

So, you're saying they're illegal, but you can buy them? Are you as schizophrenic as Da Gubmint, or what? Is there some law that says, "You can use this to clock your kid's teeball ball, but if you use it to clock the teenage gangsters speeding down the street, we'll throw you in jail"?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

They DO sell them and it's not illegal. Even you can find then at a TOY store. Here's a link.

It's a toy, but damn sure it can clock real size cars too!!!

Read the reviews.

Reply to
RG

"RG" wrote in news:L5mdnQikDNVapJLbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@trueband.net:

Certain **"uses"** are illegal.(misuses)

recall the old "code testers" that xmitted on 10.5Ghz,and the FCC outlawed them,as they were actually intended for setting off RDs in other autos. That was a misuse.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

So, let me get this clear in my head - this should be a simple "Yes" or "No" question.

Are you claiming that I can buy one of these toys to clock my kid's tee-ball hit, but if I go out in my front yard and use THE EXACT SAME TOY to clock the hoodlums who are speeding through my neighborhood, endangering my kids' lives, that the authorities will side with the hoodlums, and prosecute me for misusing MY OWN TOY?

Yes or No should be sufficient here, if any of you right-wingers are capable of giving a straight answer to a plain question.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Yes or no doesn't catch it.

If you use it to actually clock them, and obtain a reading and record it, that ain't illegal.

If you set it up to just let the transmitter blather in an effort to set up a jammer for their radar detector, then that's illegal.

The Federal Communications Commission takes an extremely dim view of jammers of any sort - they won't let theater owners use 'em to squelch the cell phone useage that drives everybody nuts in a theater, either. Its just a super no-no with them.

Dave Head

Reply to
Dave Head

outlawed

YES, it could be a simple answer.

NO, you will never make it a simple question.

Buy the toy and read the instructions. Read the warnings.

Why don't you peruse some websites and get a "simple" answer for yourself? Riiight, you are a left-winger (pun intended in retaliation to yours), you want everything in small pieces and "pre-chewed". Let the war begin.

Here, some answers:

1.-

2.- Call your local PD

Now, for the ones who really want to know about the toy radar gun.

This is a good document. Not official. I guess I agree to this parts:

1.- The instructions said no to use it in or near the street 2.- The RF power is so low, it's covered by part 15 of the FCC rules, and no license is required. 3.- It costs around $25-$35. Uses 10.525 GHz (apparently the "X" band
Max effective range 39 feet. 4.- Even though this is a toy, it may not be a good idea to use it while driving or gliding, as it's operation could prove distracting. If it were higher power, I'm sure it would be considered illegal without the proper license, such as what's covered by "Part 90" of the FCC rules. Just because a seven year old is allowed to use it, doesn't make it safe for anyone to use it in an unsafe manner.

The reason "glider" is included is because the poster, in this website, wanted to use it in a glider. :-)

So, I guess the bottom line is (at least, my bottom line):

1.- It may be illegal to "point" something that looks like a gun to motorists. 2.- The transmitting RF level is so low that, it doen't require a licence, and you can use it outdoors (I'm thinking a kid in a minivan, "targeting" vehicles). 3.- Apparently, uses X band, which is in the frequency of some automatic door openers and neon signs (I think), since my radar detector goes crazy around them. If I stopped in front of FoodMaxx, I get "full" detection.

Now, some "weird" stuff about my Cobra radar detector:

At 7-11 gas station, I get K band. That is the band currently used in California (north), to my experience, by CHP and local police, dashmounted or handheld guns. At Best-Buy, my radar detector goes VG-2 at the front door. VG-2 is a "stealth" mode to avoid detection of the radar detectors, since it is illegal to have one in you car, in some states. It "shuts off" the my radar detector for some seconds. Emergency vehicles DOES NOT trigger my Safety Alert system. Then again, I live in a small city where emergency lights are sufficient, I guess.

I'm gonna buy two of these toys and set them up in my window sill that looks to both sides of the street. We all neighbors around have a problem with some kids "flying" thru this residential neighborhood. I will set it up when my kids are playing outside, turn them off when not. Hopefully, it will work and make them slow down enough to realize that there's no cop around. By then, they will be at the stop sign, ja.

Just until we get our speed bump...

Raul G

Reply to
RG

Dave Head wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No,not YOU using it to measure vehicle speed,but when you wire it up to be unattended and NOT for measuring vehicle speed,but to interfere with the LEGAL radar detectors others are using.Georgia police encountered the same thing when they tried to use old radar guns just to set off RDs,ain an attept to get drivers to slow down(same thing you want to do..). The FCC stepped in and that practice was outlawed. The FCC license the gun operates under is ONLY good for measuring vehicle speed.

Is that straight enough?

Then you're stepping on THEIR rights.

Thanks,Dave,my above post was not meant for you.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The windshield mounted transponders that automatically ID your car and charge your toll road account are microwave based.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No. The FCC has jurisdiction, and they aren't likely to care. While your use of the device is technically illegal, the FCC is too busy sucking up to phone companies to line its own pockets to be bothered to prosecute unlicensed operators of radar guns.

However, the authorities can't prosecute the drivers based on your use of the radar gun. You may as well just get a chair, sit on your porch, and yell "GET OFF MY LAWN" at anyone who goes by.

Oh, and tell your kids not to play in the street.

--
  There\'s no such thing as a free lunch, but certain accounting practices can
  result in a fully-depreciated one.