A Must Read

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 18:40:23 -0800, John Fields Gave us:

worse.

I see that the DonkTard is being a total ass again.

It comes natural to him.

Reply to
JoeBloe

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 10:01:52 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote: ...

Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

Good Luck! Rich

--
For more information, please feel free to visit http://www.godchannel.com
Reply to

Guess again.

1.Finland 9.6 Iceland 9.6 New Zealand 9.6 (All equal)

. . . .

20.Belgium 7.3 Chile 7.3 USA 7.3 (All equal)
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Couldn't we start with Eeyore? It may be less productive overall but vastly more satisfying...

me

The US has a long and notorious record for installing and supporting tyrants. Ever heard of Pinochet? Saddam Hussein? Noriega?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

There are many private US groups who work like this. Efforts by the US government have been under threat by the greedy reactionaries for a long time however.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

[snip]

VASTLY MORE SATISFYING ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Why don't you set an example and kill off yourself?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

While yours is "Party all the time"

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I'm not convinced it was necessarily disingenuous. Steve Jobs saying, "I'll let you use OS X for free... but no, I'm not giving you the source..." is no different than the the U.S. offering genetically modified corn but not the means to make more from themselves.

Oh, wait, some African countries *do* refuse genetically modified corn!

At least the choice of OS from a $100 laptop isn't going to determine whether someone lives or dies, unlike the refusal of corn.

Specifying that the OS must be open source instead of just trying to get whatever's cheapest and will work smacks of a sort of intellectual elitism that helps no one.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Since the US government doesn't own the rights to the "genetically modified corn"...

...and condoms. ...and "keep it in the pocket" messages.

Nor is it likely to matter in any way. If you're hungry even the Usenet isn't of a lot of use.

To be fair, I see the issue as knowing there is no disguised or delayed hook. Open-source can be free in every way.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Joel Kolstad wrote:

It's obvious that when you hear "free" you immediately think *gratis* when the *libre* element is so much more important. Closed source abandonware/obsoletedware really sucks.

Reply to
JeffM

Really? I haven't been to a party in over 35 years. Tell us again. How can you breathe with your head up Eeyore's infected ass?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

worse.

Doctors without borders? Project Hope? Try decades, dumb ASS.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why swim? Its easier to move the jobs to the people than bring the people to the jobs.

If you bring a programmer or engineer over here from India, for example, they have to buy a $500K house or rent an apartment for $2500/mo. Food, gas, clothing and everything costs them the same as it costs us, so they need roughly the same income. $10 per hour back at home will buy a pretty nice lifestyle.

Opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. Standard
disclaimers apply. All rights reserved. No user serviceable components
inside. Contents under pressure; do not incinerate. Always wear adequate
eye protection. Do not mold, findle or sputilate.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On a sunny day (Tue, 2 Jan 2007 18:05:39 -0800) it happened "Joel Kolstad" wrote in :

They will use thse in life support systems.

Open source allows thse kids to look at the kernel source and improve. A lernin gprocess. Being a MS dumb mouse clicker only learns one to go buy the next MS product, because the current one is severely wing-clipped anyways.

What is new in Vista? transparent dekstop.

Apart from it being totally useless, but needed as all clogs up in one screen, Xorg (Unix) has had it already for a year.

I agree better learn those kids how to build and do agriculture. And now in a few years US IT industry will face strong competition from these kids.

And I want a 100$ PC too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Late at night, by candle light, Jim Thompson penned this immortal opus:

Never miss a chance to jump on your hobby horse, do you?

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

The US has been sending tractors to places that cannot maintain them continuously since the 1960's. It is standard and ongoing corporate welfare for Ford, John Deere, and Caterpiller, etc.,

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 04:31:26 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

Short, infected breaths. Damn shame is that he has acclimated to it, and has no risk of survival loss.

Reply to
JoeBloe

There are many thousands of open-source programs/drivers/etc. for Windows platforms they could look at. Realistically, how many people who end up with a PC would even *want* to look at the Windows kernel source code even if they could? 1 in 100,000 maybe?

I will buy the comment someone else made that if you let Steve Jobs *give* you OS X (which these days actually has plenty of open-source components, even though the entire thing isn't) you could be worried that he's just looking for a "hook" to start charging you later.

If you chose to donate ten million $2000 computers (i.e., pretty nice machines, and you can choose the OS as well) to Africa (or any other country) the vast majority of the recipients will end up as mouse clickers anyway.

Pretty true, and in many ways Linux distributions that have adoprted it do push it as their one big upgrade (see, e.g., Mandriva 2007 --

-- "key new feature," "major breakthrough"). One advantage of the Vista Aero desktop is that it seems to me to be a lot less buggy... pretty much it all works or it simply refuses to work because your graphics card doesn't have the necessary hardware, whereas in many cases Xgl will "sort of" work.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad