A good digital oscilloscope?

I ordered some cards direct from Tek, turned out they were standard (but obsolete) Sandisk 256M CF cards. I think Newark wanted $250 or something insane like that.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Beats waiting 3 minutes to write to floppy.

Reply to
krw

Ever tried a receiver? After a while you just listen to the rat-tat-tat and chase it with a near field probe, without even looking at any display. Occasionally when I do this with headphones on at a client the guys look at me as if I was doing voodoo or some sort of exorcism. Until the source is found and they are puzzled why their $30k analyzer didn't pick it up.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Out here we use that for much more fun stuff :-))

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Or maybe not. Tektronix went to great lengths WRT isolated channels. Here is a photo for an older scope from Olaf in the German NG:

Every data bit seems to have its own personal transformer with trace "windings". That is some real engineering there.

Whenever I had to do that (isolated signal transfer in medical) I took the analog signal and heaved it across just one transformer while another bigger one supplies the isolated side with power. Results in very small capacitance which is always a concern for stuff that goes inside a beating heart.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It might be this one...

John

Oh man, some of the patent examiners must really wave stuff through or not pay much attention. Don't they use engineers anymore at the patent office? This is a really old scheme, tons of prior art. Used on ECG units dating almost back to the Romans. So I guess that patent wouldn't have much standing if it ever came to a court challenge.

But that's essentially how it's done right. Typically there is a synchronous detector at the other side but the modulation scheme doesn't really matter. On low frequency gear the carrier transformer supplies power to the isolated side at the same time. Of course if the carrier has to be in the GHz range you'd be better off with a third transformer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

But wouldn't you think a scope of this day and age would come with a USB stick slot? I mean, it's been years now ...

Mine did :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

message

Unless it's "as applied to oscilloscopes" or something. I recall isolated-input opamps that did this many decades ago.

John

message

You'd think. AIUI, USB sticks are a PITA to write but the work only has to be done once.

Reply to
krw

Hmmm, better not having tinnitus :-)))

--
Thanks,
Fred.

You may also have a look at the 4 channel GW-Instek scopes. Till now, they have been working ok. Nice look and feel also.

Pere

Reply to
oopere

On a sunny day (Tue, 08 Dec 2009 17:02:32 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

'Spiritus' is 85% Ethanol, and 3% Methanol, plus a horribe smell and taste added... Vodka is expensive, and only 40%, heavely taxed here.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 08 Dec 2009 18:18:50 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Hey, if they start patenting the obvious like that, it is marked file 2002, awarded 2006, where do we go? I did that in the sixties, there must be zillions of prior art cases. What a crap. It is much to general, just a a protest I will never buy a tek again. The digital onse have rotten noise anyways. DO YOU HEAR ME TEK? Talk about patent trolls.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 08 Dec 2009 18:54:33 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Exactly!!!!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

message

Yeah, I know a sad case where a company is being sued because the "new" patent applied to equipment with a blue front panel and they have a blue front panel, to express it a bit exaggerated. That sort of "system" is plain sick, it stifles innovation which will then move to countries with less onerous patenting. Like in Asia.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

message

scopes

My scope writes a screen shot onto a stick in less than a second. The nice thing is that they are ubiquitous, you can plug them into just about any PC unless it's really, really old.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

added...

Yeah, I remember from when I lived in NL. Booze was bought in D, smokes in NL, study textbooks were imported from the US.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's one of the difficulties I have to deal with. The left ear has that, courtesy of a mishap while in the army ... phssst ... ouieeeeee ... *KABLAM* :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[auto-snip]

Mine is left ear also... courtesy of hearing aid design, and overpowering my ear while testing a compressor scheme by whacking the bench with a hammer ;-) ...Jim Thompson