36 pin Centronics Connectors

Where can I buy these ?!

I've searched high and low at electronics stores all around town and I cannot find any bare 36 pin centronics connectors. I did find some female connectors and I bought them, but I'm having trouble finding male connectors. Most places don't stock these connectors anymore, but I see printer cables and 36 pin to USB adapters being made still today so I KNOW that these connectors are still being made.

Anyone got any good leads to where I can get some of these connectors online ?

Thanks

Reply to
sccastles

I bought some of each kind from Digikey about 5 years ago. First, unless somebody does it for you, you need to go to a connector manufacturer's web site an come up with a part number. I would try Amphenol first. Centronics was the user, not the manufacturer.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Go to Digikey and search [connector] then select the [Parallel Interface / Centronics] choice. All on this page:

John Popelish

I believe that AMP's name for these is "Champ". The 50 pin version is common in telephone equipment and the 36 pin was used for some printers (like Centronics). IIRC, a smaller one is used for test equipment that are equipped with the GPIB bus.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Centronics is just a long gone printer manufacturer. The connector originally was an Amphenol 57 Series Micro-Ribbon connector. (I dug out an old Anadex printer manual and they called out a 57-30360 plug). Those were/are solder-cup (you really don't want to go there) or PCB tail style connectors. Other compatible Amphenol parts were the 157 Micro-pierce (IDC wire) and 850-57 (IDC flat cable) series. Or a zillion other manufacturers. I usually hacked around with T&B Ansley flat cable connectors, because one squish of the cable beats the heck out of soldering 36 wires into the back of the connector.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Didn't the HP-IP also use these or similar (maybe 50-pin vs 36?)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

^^^^^

HP-IB. duh.

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes, 24 pin. (I actually paid a lot of money for a copy of IEEE-488 that I never used, until now). It names Micro-Ribbon from Amphenol or Cinch, or Champ from AMP.